Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfinch chicks

Options
  • 15-06-2010 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how long after hatching do goldfinches abandon their young, have had a number (at least two pairs of goldfinches) feeding at the seeds and nuts in the backgarden, The adults were then accompanied by at least two plumper versions of themselves (yellowish tails) first the adults are no longer around now there seems to be only one of the pair of chicks. The last fella is happily picking away at the seeds and feed on the tray.
    He cant seem to get on the peanut feeder but feeds off the tray and now is accompanied by sparrows (doesnt seem to know who he is?)

There has been an increase recently from no magpies to around six and the usual two cats that hang around (one has a collar)

I'd like to get rid of the magpies, they seem to be clambering in the tree behind me where the other small birds perched before flying in and grabbing a few seeds.
    As I am in the suburbs is there any way I can get rid of the magpies and can I get a trap for the stray/uncollared cats
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Magpies and cats have/are being dealt with in detail on other current threads

Please read Magpie thread

Please read cat thread

Goldfinch discussion continue here, but take Magpie or Cat discussion to other threads, though I reckon the answers are contained in the threads already.

I may lock this thread if the same discussion as in the other threads starts here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The don't really abandon the chicks. They will grow big enough to look after themselves and the adults may have another clutch. They will stay around (Adults and Chicks) and form a small flock by Autumn then joining with others in Winter in larger flocks.

Advertisement