Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking up a fight

Options
  • 15-06-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Seeing six guys beating up one guy, my reaction is to try to stop the fight, or at least cool it down a bit. In a dodgy area, a lot of drunk people around, it is a drunk fight, but even so, isn't that the right thing to do? If I get hit a few times myself then so be it as long as it is the right decision. Am wondering about some of my friends who preferred to stay in their seats rather than help me try to cool down the fight. So what are the reasons for just letting it happen? The only reason I can think of that would make that right is if you think your presence trying to stop the fight would actually make things worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I think even 20 years ago, 99% of people would say they would try to break it up and take a few digs in the process and you wouldn't have a problem convincing friends to help you. These days though where a lot of people have no problem kicking you in the head when you are down or pulling a knife or a screwdriver, well the stakes are a lot higher for doing the 'right' thing.

Its a tough one alright. On the one hand I am proud of myself that I tackled a knife wielding scummer who had a knife to my brothers throat. I didn't know I had it in me. However it was a purely instinctual reaction and when the adrenaline had worn off and I examined the scenario rationally, it was the stupidest thing I ever did. Pride in doing the 'right' thing would have meant nothing if I had ended up lying in a pool of blood. Should have just given him the money as much as it would rankle me that a scummer 'got away with it'

Then again the other side of the coin was working in a pub and the bouncers and a few of us barmen breaking up a fight where one lad was about to get pummeled. Turns out the 'victim' had just glassed an ex member of staff after getting bumped accidentally by him. (didn't know ex staff member was involved or what had happened) By the time we found out what had happened we couldn't really hand back the other lad to get a well deserved beating but in hindsight wished we hadn't intervened in the first place and let the gang of lads kick the ever loving **** out of the fcuker.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Unfortunately I'd say stay out of it although I realise that's probably morally the wrong thing. If it was my OH I wouldn't want him jumping into a fight to save someone and risk getting stabbed, knifed or kicked to death himself. I'd prefer him cowardly but alive.

IMO, if you see a fight ring the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Gabbro wrote: »
    Seeing six guys beating up one guy, my reaction is to try to stop the fight, or at least cool it down a bit. In a dodgy area, a lot of drunk people around, it is a drunk fight, but even so, isn't that the right thing to do? If I get hit a few times myself then so be it as long as it is the right decision. Am wondering about some of my friends who preferred to stay in their seats rather than help me try to cool down the fight. So what are the reasons for just letting it happen? The only reason I can think of that would make that right is if you think your presence trying to stop the fight would actually make things worse.

Thats me all over, idiotic really to be honest but considering the guards are told not to get involved in a fight if it looks like they themselves could be injured i think the same goes for us...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

dont go there ,even Jackie Chan said once that if he was held up by a guy with a knife ,he would give him the wallet .

I'll always avoid a fight no matter what.. Got jumped when I was 16 by 3 lads and it was bad craic. My cousin has a massive scar on his face from a pint glass and it really shows that 10 years later, that fight can still affect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

if i thought the guy was in serious danger of being severely injured/killed id feel obliged to try and help, despite not being the fighting type and id be ****ting myself that someone would hurt me badly tbf. But I still think and hope I would try to help. I did once on the past but it wasnt quite that violent.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

I think it has a lot to do with conformity. If you see a fight and no one else tries to break it up, you may convince yourself that you don't want to be that person who stands up and goes against the rest of the group. Having said that, the rest of the group may conform with you once you have shown that you are willing to do what they were too afraid to.

Advertisement