Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend dilemma - depression?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone.

I need some help with my friend. We have been good friends for the past few years, probably best of friends. He's always been a bit unbalanced for want of a better word, getting angry sometimes, and very much lacking in confidence.

However its hit an all time low...I dont know what i can say to him anymore. He has ZERO self esteem or confidence. He reckons he's ugly, and that no one wants to be around him, and no girl will ever like him. he tells me that hes been told this many times, by who i dont know. I think he might be depressed. Ive tried to get him to talk to someone, have offered to go with him etc., but he just wont. He seems stuck in this place and im really struggling to pull him out.

Im so confused, any ideas what i could POSSIBLY do...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

You sound like such a good friend and fair play to you for being so, as these kind of friends are hard to come by.

By being there for him and listening, you are already doing a lot. He needs your support. You can't change him yourself. He needs to make the change as it's his problem. And you can't make him go to the gp. It's really hard to watch and feel helpless. But it's him that needs to make the first step to help himself.
    Does he have any interests or hobbies that he could get more involved in?

Advertisement