Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could she be bi-polar?

Options
  • 15-06-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey Everyone, just looking for advice. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but mods feel free to move. I put it here because I'd really like some replies. Over the past couple of months, I have got close to a girl. We began texting all the time, sometimes all day. We have been out a few times and everything seemed to be going fine until last week. She suddenly became very distant and said that sometimes she needed to be on her own and it had nothing to do with anyone else. She stopped sending me texts and didnt reply to any of my texts and ignored my calls. This really hurt me as we had been so close. I honestly thought that she had gone off me or met someone else but it didnt make sense, only a week ago, she was telling me how much she liked me, how she was so happy and that it was all down to me etc and now nothing.

I confided in a work colleague and was told that they remember her saying before that she took medication for bi-polar disorder. They also said that they have observed her in work and can be high sometimes and other times very low. I have noticed in the past that she can be very moody etc but didnt think anything of it. This behaviour of the past week in total contrast to the weeks before and I am genuinely worried. I know that she has regular doctor appointments but never asked what they were for. I also know she has trouble sleeping and takes sleeping pills. She text me today again to say that she's sorry for being quiet but she sometimes needs time alone. The texts were very short again and very little feeling.

Sorry if this doesnt make much sense but I guess I'm just wondering if anyone knows if these sound like the characteristics of somebody with bi-polar and if they have been in a similar situation.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Hey Everyone, just looking for advice. I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but mods feel free to move. I put it here because I'd really like some replies. Over the past couple of months, I have got close to a girl. We began texting all the time, sometimes all day. We have been out a few times and everything seemed to be going fine until last week. She suddenly became very distant and said that sometimes she needed to be on her own and it had nothing to do with anyone else. She stopped sending me texts and didnt reply to any of my texts and ignored my calls. This really hurt me as we had been so close. I honestly thought that she had gone off me or met someone else but it didnt make sense, only a week ago, she was telling me how much she liked me, how she was so happy and that it was all down to me etc and now nothing.

I confided in a work colleague and was told that they remember her saying before that she took medication for bi-polar disorder. They also said that they have observed her in work and can be high sometimes and other times very low. I have noticed in the past that she can be very moody etc but didnt think anything of it. This behaviour of the past week in total contrast to the weeks before and I am genuinely worried. I know that she has regular doctor appointments but never asked what they were for. I also know she has trouble sleeping and takes sleeping pills. She text me today again to say that she's sorry for being quiet but she sometimes needs time alone. The texts were very short again and very little feeling.

Sorry if this doesnt make much sense but I guess I'm just wondering if anyone knows if these sound like the characteristics of somebody with bi-polar and if they have been in a similar situation.

Thanks

who cares either way, trust me on this, if you give her the space she is asking for, don't call her or contact her until she contacts you.

I can guarantee she will be back to you in less then a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No one here can tell you that.
    Why not wait it out and then ask her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 freddiefox1

Thaedydal wrote: »
    No one here can tell you that.
    Why not wait it out and then ask her?

well that is my intention, at the minute.. I am just giving her space. I do realise that nobody can say for sure, I am more hoping that someone can tell me if these would be typical of somebody with bi-polar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Well, I'm bi-polar (diagnosed, on meds) and it's not something I've ever done. If anything, I need human contact when I'm on a "down" because it stops me from getting even more depressed and when I'm on a high, I'll talk to anyone. I do cut down on contact with my friends when I'm on a down, but I don't cut it out completely and I never have in the past either.

Tbh they COULD be characteristics of somebody with bipolar disorder, but they could also be characteristics of a moody cow :p You really won't know for sure until you ask her, but I'd say that if you've been told she was on bipolar meds, there's a strong chance that maybe it is because of that.

Sounds like you two are heading towards a bit more than friendship from what you've said so tbh I'm surprised that she hasn't told you yet, considering bipolar plays such a huge role in the lives of people with it.

Advertisement