Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions of M.Sc. courses?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I've just finished DCU's Computer Applications, and I'm looking at these TCD Masters courses: So I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on these courses, especially in the context of them facilitating getting a job afterwards? I'm also looking at a few Masters courses at DCU too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I'm finishing up the Networks and Distributed Systems course this year, and posted in the Postgraduates Forum about it.

I didn't think much of it, and learned very little I didn't already know or couldn't figure out instantly. There was a lot of work, but none of it hard. You share some modules with UbiCom class, but their course is more hardware/low-level focussed.

Regarding jobs, I got offers from everywhere I interviewed, but I think that was on the back of my undergrad rather than the postgrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

snappieT wrote: »
    I didn't think much of it, and learned very little I didn't already know or couldn't figure out instantly.

Did you not find that people who hadn't done the their undergrad in CS here didn't already know a lot of course material?

I mean some of the lecture material was based on topics covered in various courses taught in Trinity's CS undergrad, so you would have already delved into that stuff to fully understand it back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Did you not find that people who hadn't done the their undergrad in CS here didn't already know a lot of course material?

I mean some of the lecture material was based on topics covered in various courses taught in Trinity's CS undergrad, so you would have already delved into that stuff to fully understand it back then.

Far too much of it was recap - an entire module on the link, network and transport layers in OSI was unnecessary - that knowledge should be prerequisite for a masters course.

Then again, maybe my view of what calibre a masters course should teach at is skewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

snappieT wrote: »
    Far too much of it was recap - an entire module on the link, network and transport layers in OSI was unnecessary - that knowledge should be prerequisite for a masters course.

Then again, maybe my view of what calibre a masters course should teach at is skewed.

I think with a lot of these taught masters there's a lot of recap, due to the need to accommodate people from different backgrounds.

I did my MSc in one of the better universities in the UK, and like you I found it had a lot of stuff that I already knew or could figure out quickly. There was a load of work to do, but hardly any of it was difficult, and if I wanted I could have picked different modules that would have been easier.

I took some modules from both UbiComp and NDS for my PhD, and I think the workload/difficulty was comparable to my MSc.

Advertisement