Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Timing belt Question

Options
  • 14-06-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

As with most manufacturers you will be advised to change your timing belt at a certain mileage or after a certain amount of time. For example 120k or 4 years whichever comes first.

I understand the mileage/kilometers part of it but dont fully understand why such a short amount of time should be a factor, fair enough 8 or 10 years if you haven't done 120k but 4 seems short when you consider the timing belt is tucked away from the elements under a bonnet and then inside its own plastic cover.

Question is, Would you change the timing belt on a 5 year old car that has only done 62000 kilometers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Yes,

a t/belt is made of rubber and from lack of use rubber deteriorates and becomes brittle. Given the cost of repairing an engine with t/belt failure its a worthwhile investment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Absolutely. The belt perishes over time and also the number of cold starts and short trips a car has covered plays a bit part in belt / tensioner wear. I'd rather leave a belt for 120k on a can that did the mileage in 3 years with long motorway/dual carrigway trips then leave it 4.5 years on a car thats driven into town to the shops every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭CaraFawn

It depends most timing belts are atcually chains nowadays.
    Unless you hear a metalic noise on the front of the engine when it is running, I would not be too worried about it.

CaraFawn wrote: »
    It depends most timing belts are atcually chains nowadays.
    Unless you hear a metalic noise on the front of the engine when it is running, I would not be too worried about it.

:eek:

Are you on crack? Thats chains.........which don't need to be changed!

This person is talking about rubber belts which do!

What type of car do you have as some need to be changed earlier than the recommended time.

GPF is correct about belts failing earlier when used in heavy traffic covering short distances. Once you start the engine the belt is being used. DON'T LEAVE IT. ITS A VERY FALSE ECONOMY

johnos1984 wrote: »
    :eek:

Are you on crack? Thats chains.........which don't need to be changed!

This person is talking about rubber belts which do!

What type of car do you have as some need to be changed earlier than the recommended time.

GPF is correct about belts failing earlier when used in heavy traffic covering short distances. Once you start the engine the belt is being used. DON'T LEAVE IT. ITS A VERY FALSE ECONOMY

Ain't on crack but thanks for asking :p

OP has not mentionned rubber belts at all. Most car stoday use chains, that's a fact. Some manufacturers went back to rubber, true that too.
    So before giving advices we should confirm if OP has rubber of chain...

Err, and yes eventually timing chains will need to be changed.
    Timing belt term is also commonly used to designate timing chains, even though this is not rubber as we know.

• Advertisement

I really have to disagree with your advice. As you say NOT KNOWING IF ITS BELT OR CHAIN you advise leaving it. Don't you think its better to be on the side of caution given the size of a repair bill.

If its due a change at 120K km its a belt. Chains in any car I've ever worked on generally don't need to be changed. In fact I've never heard of a chain that does. I have come across slipped chains that the do such as on an Avensis VVTI but nothing else.

I think your confused between the terminology of t/belt and t/chain.

I STRONGLY advice the OP to follow the manufacturers recommendations on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you got a belt of a chain, you'd know the difference.... :eek:

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    If you got a belt of a chain, you'd know the difference.... :eek:

:D

I really have to disagree with your advice. As you say NOT KNOWING IF ITS BELT OR CHAIN you advise leaving it. Don't you think its better to be on the side of caution given the size of a repair bill.

If its due a change at 120K km its a belt. Chains in any car I've ever worked on generally don't need to be changed. In fact I've never heard of a chain that does. I have come across slipped chains that the do such as on an Avensis VVTI but nothing else.

I think your confused between the terminology of t/belt and t/chain.

I STRONGLY advice the OP to follow the manufacturers recommendations on this one

No you missunderstood me, I said if it is a chain and it does no noise, most likely it is ok. That's all I said. And you even agreed with me since you said they rarely go belly up :p

OP mentionned: "Most manufactuers", that still does not tell if his car uses a chain or belt...ok?

Now yes I agree with you, rubber will need to be changed according to manufacturers recommendations, and even probably before.

And thank you not to insult my intelligence I know the difference between a belt and a chain :D

Moving forward -->

Timing belt term is also commonly used to designate timing chains, even though this is not rubber as we know.

No it's not, perhaps in **my fav word**land though ;)

• Advertisement

Carafawn: Go back and read your advice......at best it was vague and misleading.

OP what make, model and engine is your car?

Some manufacturers for petrol engines reccommend a 60k mile change but then recommended it to be 30-40k miles to be on the safe side (Alfa/Ren/Pug) others are fine to go the distance.

If its over 4 years however I would recommend changing it as it will of aged (belt that is).

If its a chain I still wouldn't wait for a death rattle I'd change it.

Running a car on the cheap as I've said before is a false economy.

Don't forget to factor in a full service and the cost of a water pump. Any respected mechanic will do them all at the same time anyway but ask to be sure

RoverJames wrote: »
    No it's not, perhaps in **my fav word**land though ;)

Well many people do refer to this mechanism as timing belts, period.
    You disagree that's fine, but it is very common.

Well many people do refer to this mechanism as timing belts, period.
    You disagree that's fine, but it is very common.

I've had people tell me they get about 500 miles out of a tank of oil but that doesn't mean I fill the engine with petrol now does it!

I've also had people tell me their t/belt was slipping when it was the fan belt..... do i just agree to keep them happy?

No, nuff said

I've had people tell me they get about 500 miles out of a tank of oil but that doesn't mean I fill the engine with petrol now does it!

I've also had people tell me their t/belt was slipping when it was the fan belt..... do i just agree to keep them happy?

No, nuff said

You are just missing the point mate, you still do not get it :p
    Anyway, moving forward ->

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

You're the first person i've ever heard referring to a timing chain as a timing belt.

No Cara I don't think I'm missing the point.

The point was that the OP asked for good advice.....Your post gave the impression that most cars have chains and to keep driving until you hear it rattling by which time damage would of been done as the "rattle" is also called a slipping chain/death rattle.

Thats the advice that costs people a lot of money and the reason why people have to be careful taking advice from car forums over the internet.

I'm not missing any point and your willingness to move on shows your wrong and you know it.

Now lets move on that we have established that your advice isn't sound

Anan1 wrote: »
    You're the first person i've ever heard referring to a timing chain as a timing belt.

I never called referred the timing chain as a timing belt mate.
    I said most people will call it the timing belt even though it is a chain

I never called referred the timing chain as a timing belt mate.
    I said most people will call it the timing belt even though it is a chain

OP moving on from this 'advice' the manufacturer would prefer if the intervals were longer between t/belt changes as they would then be able to sell the cars to fleet buyers with the advantage of cheaper servicing while they have them.

They don't make much money as the parts are cheap its the labour that costs the most.

At 120K Km and 4 years they are stretched to the MAX at that .

Get them done

No Cara I don't think I'm missing the point.

The point was that the OP asked for good advice.....Your post gave the impression that most cars have chains and to keep driving until you hear it rattling by which time damage would of been done as the "rattle" is also called a slipping chain/death rattle.

Thats the advice that costs people a lot of money and the reason why people have to be careful taking advice from car forums over the internet.

I'm not missing any point and your willingness to move on shows your wrong and you know it.

Now lets move on that we have established that your advice isn't sound

You really need to fight back and keep the last word don't you lol.

You gave your advice, which is sound, I never argued with that.
    I simply made a comment, based on the fact OP has not provided much details. You gave your recommendations, I agree with them, so do not feel offended.

Yes my answer was short, probably too short, fair enough. You cleared that by making the difference betwen chain and belt, that is fair enough, both need to be looked after differently.

I just made my point of the belt/chain ref. to pin point that OP could be referring to belt while it could be a chain.

:rolleyes: Sometimes it's important to know when its not worth talking to the wall, Good night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Spades

Sorry folks, I was referring to a timing belt, 1.4 VW

In that case spades I get it changed. As far as I remember VW revised down the estimated life span of the t/belt for the 1.4litre engine.

If your worried ring the main dealer and ask to be put through to the service department and they will tell you without any hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Spades wrote: »
    Sorry folks, I was referring to a timing belt, 1.4 VW

I'm glad you didn't mention the engine in the OP, I enjoyed that little spat. :D

OP, get it changed, you are living on borrowed time. We had a younger 1.4 (50K) that nearly destroyed itself with a failing timing belt.

I'm glad you didn't mention the engine in the OP, I enjoyed that little spat. :D

OP, get it changed, you are living on borrowed time. We had a younger 1.4 (50K) that nearly destroyed itself with a failing timing belt.

Was thinking the same myself, and apreciate the advice, but Id say it would have been much better if a bottle of whiskey was thrown into the mix.:D

Make sure the waterpump is changed as well as this can cause the t/belt to be thrown off and cause a large amount of damage to the engine

Does the winner take the bottle of whiskey???? lol

Make sure the waterpump is changed as well as this can cause the t/belt to be thrown off and cause a large amount of damage to the engine

Does the winner take the bottle of whiskey???? lol

Absolutely, I rang several places, including main dealers Skoda and VW for quotes and everything to be replaced is €399. I think that is a great price. As for the whiskey, I insist it consumed during debate for my entertainment.:D

It seems a good price to me but just be sure everything is done and done correctly. Its not rocket science though so you should be fine. As said earlier the parts are cheap its the labour that isn't

As for the whiskey..........I'll take Guinness for a lively debate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

And speaking of drinking OP, watch your oil level like a hawk, I'd be surprised if your engine didn't have quite a taste for it by now.

And speaking of drinking OP, watch your oil level like a hawk, I'd be surprised if your engine didn't have quite a taste for it by now.

I have been and it isnt burning very much, as a matter a fact I didnt have to top it up between services. Again it was only a time issue for the service, 12 months had passed but only driven approx 10k kilometers. Still I decided to get it serviced to make sure it runs well for the next couple of years, (assuming I get up of my arse and get the belt changed)

• Advertisement
Advertisement