Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealbreaker?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I had an interview for a job today. Ad said looking for a minimum of 2.2 degree. I got a 3rd class honours as I failed one module. I applied anyway.

Breezed through aptitude, breezed through assessment, interview went great. They asked about degree, I explained as I failed one class, I automatically got a 3rd. They didnt seem fazed by this. Everything was very positive and I left smiling.

Do you think the degree issue will rule me out? Would they just be polite and carry on with interview knowing they wouldnt employ me because of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

If they liked you and you did well, I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

I do hiring sometimes - if it was a deal breaker you wouldnt have got an interview.

Typically you go thru the CVs weeding out those that dont make the grade, and once it gets to the interview its pretty much on all that you speak through. So imo if you were the best for the job, the 3rd wouldnt really count against you.

However if the 3rd hadnt come up b4 the interview - then to answer that question: yes, the interviewers would have to be polite and continue with the interview to the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Third class honours, is that what they're calling it now?

Anyway, it can be a deal breaker in some jobs, especially graduate roles. But other employers just have a wish list e.g. 2.1 degree, 5 years post qualified experience and willing to work for peanuts. Just take it as it comes.

When I got the interview for my current job I made an absolute balls of the interview - I was too shy and nervous. So I was shocked to get the call that I had got the job. I flew through the aptitude test quicker than any of the others and that's what secured the job for me.

So no I don't think it's a dealbreaker. Besides, if the academic experience was a strict requirement they wouldn't have called you for an interview.

Advertisement