Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why is mare producting millk?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Have a 13 yr old mare that had foal last year,the foal was weaned at 6 months and I bought the mare in feb I have for last 4 months.I noticed over last two weeks that her udders have got bigger,today noticed they were very big,so I squeezed them and white milk came out.She get hay and red mills course mix and be out on grass for hour a day.

any comments would be appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Afraid the most natural reason is that she is in Foal.If there has been a very obvious change to her udder I think you are best advised to get her checked by a vet so you can be prepared if she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ladyj79

I've actually had two mares who lactated for no reason. One who had previously foaled some years before, and one who had never foaled. It's really not that big of a deal or cause for concern. If you think your mare may have been exposed, certainly have the vet out. If not, I'd just watch for any marked discomfort. If you see any, simply express some milk. Otherwise, ignore it, it'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I would check for infection just to be sure. Mare's can develop mastitis, even when they are not lactating. You can never be too careful!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It would be best to get a vet to come out and check her. She could be in foal, or having a phantom pregnancy, or just have produced milk for no reason. But a vet is the only one who will tell you for definite, so best give them a call and check her out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Just remember that this is not a medical board - any suggestions that relate to the treatment, feeding, medical state, general health etc of horses are only suggestions. If in doubt, contact a vet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement