Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I work up to 11 hours a day with no break

Options
  • 14-06-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My contract says that i am entitled to 20 minutes of a break and 1 hour of a lunch break throughout the day at my own discretion.
    however my job, and my work and duties and responsibilties simply do not allow me to toddle of on a break. i could work up to 11 hours a day. i could have my lunch box stapled to my hand but i wont even get time to blink at it never my eat it. sometimes i might just get a few minutes throughout the day but its usually just enough time just to shovel food down my gob. usually by 3 im tired, exhausted, nauseous, disoritated. so here i am. just after finishing a 10 hour working day. had no lunch. and i swear to god i cannot move my body. i had to find a corner in work just to fall down into and sleep and slept for about 20 mins before i now go and drag my body home. funny thing is i love my work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i could of written this post about 3 years ago! i suffered migranes, dizziness, sometimes i'd have to go to the bathroom and throw up from the naseau from lack of food/headaches. I liked my job too, it was stressy but i got a buzz from it, but you know what op it wasn't worth it, no job is worth your health, now i'm not saying quit your job, but in my case it got to the point where my body physically couldn't take anymore. At some point you have to stand back.
    however my job, and my work and duties and responsibilties simply do not allow me to toddle of on a break.
    why? whats the worst that could happen. I think sometimes we get so wrapped up in our jobs that we think that if we stop for an hour everything will fall apart, it won't. putting your body under that much stress is one of the worst things you can do for your health. You're perfectly entitled to an hours break. take it. Work to live, don't live to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

You really need to take serious stock of your position. You cannot carry on like this, before you will burn out. That will be either a total physical breakdown (at best) or death (at worst).

There is EU legislation re work time - working time directive. You need to consult with your Union (if in one) or your boss (if a small place with no union).

It is not clear if you are worried about your health; concerned about no lunch; concerned/proud of working hours/day or just boasting about your position.

Your health is important. You are important. Don't wreck both.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey,

I'm in the same situation. I worked a 14 hour shift last Friday and did not have a minute to go for lunch. I work on a reception in a private hospital and I am the only admin on with the clinical team. I just get so exhausted and fed up, never mind the fact that I cant even arrange anything for the nights when I'm in work that day.

I'm only entitled to a 30 minute break and I think about 3 times in the past year have I actually got the full time to eat, at that I still have to bring a phone with me in case I need to come down and register someone.

I really do know you're coming from and its just so crap that no one blinks an eye at the ridiculous hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

OP, I'm curious as to what advice you're looking for. You seem to know what the solution to the situation is - take the breaks you're entitled to. If needs be, set a timer on your watch/phone for two times during the day and when they go off, go on your breaks, get out of the building, feed yourself and don't do back til your break is over.

Tbh, I'm surprised your employers allow you to do this. Most employers I've come across are very aware of their obligations (not your contract btw, their obligations by EU/national law) and wouldn't allow you to put them at jeopardy like you are by not taking your breaks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

OP would you rather take an hour a day or miss several weeks from burnout? Get some perspective on it. You need the time for yourself in the medium to long term.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

Stop doing this please!!! I done this for 3 years! and I sometimes used to be 10 or 20 mins late coming in for work as I worked a long distance away from my job and traffic was terrible boss never seemed to mind as he knew I never took a lunch from the work load then a bully manager started not even over me and kept mentioning it to him eventually he pulled me up saying i needed to start the times in my contract and i told him well working through lunch breaks does'nt state on my contract but i'm expected to do it too!he did'nt know what to say! moral of that story is you don't get any thanks for bustng yourself getting dizzy and leaving yourself a ball a stress for any job it's just not worth it!take your breaks and look after yourself!

Advertisement