Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 holes in the ground.

Options
  • 14-06-2010 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭

Saw 2 holes in the garden this morning.

They're about 2 inches in diameter and appear to be about 7 - 8 inches deep and about 1m apart from each other.
    There's no apparent excavation material or tracks around the entrances.

Any clues what may have dug them?

(I saw a wasp entering a similar hole previously)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The diameter sounds right for a Mouse hole. But I'm guessing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

Mouse is exactly what I would go for too. I had this in a garden when I was working in Roscommon. The wee mice used to store food in them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'd expect to see a smal mound of excavation material if it was a mouse, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Turned out to be rats.

Was out in the garden yesterday and checked the holes. Grass had settled into the holes and they looked unused.

2 minutes later I returned and noticed a young rat at my feet hiding in the grass. I checked the hole again and noticed that the hole had been opened up again. The rat obviously came from the hole.

Next thing a stoat darts from cover a few feet from where I was standing. Was delighted to see the stoat in the garden. I then noticed other baby rats in the garden - all hiding. There were about 4-5 I reckon.

Later in the evenig I heard one in distress. The stoat finally got its quarry.

Looks like the 2 holes may have been bolt holes. They're a few feet away from a ditch with a stream from which I've seen an adult emerge to feed on fallen sunflower seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Test post

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

You can't beat the old way of staking out a site to see what it is ;). Thank's for sharing!!

Advertisement