Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone but no Internet

Options
  • 14-06-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I got an HTC Desire for my birthday. It is unlocked and unbranded. The problem is that i can't access Internet. I have BT broadband (now Vodafone) and my modem is not wireless. I was talking to them and they say to purchase an WIFI modem (79.99euros).

IS this worth it? I am not sure how this works, I am a bit lost, i have been looking around the forum, and I can see that other companies offer a package with some internet access included, so what should i do? Get a wireless modem? or get some package with three or o2 or one of those? WOuld that mean that I can access internet from my phone anywhere? because if i get the wireless modem I only can access Internet from home, unless there is a free wifi spot somewhere?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

To get the most from the phone I'd get a data add-on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I know this might seem obvious, but just so you know, buying a wireless router will mean you will only be able to access the net in/around your house. So once you're outside you're in the same boat you're in now.
    As said, a data add-on would be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

Thanks.

um.. and now...what is a data add-on?... where do i purchase that? in Vodafone for example? I have Vodafone SIM card. Are there any better options out there, even if it involves switching?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Meteor 'Bill Pay Smart Lite' looks pretty good, @ €30pm with 200 mins, 200 texts, 1 gig of data (plenty) and if you buy online, free Meteor>Meteor calls and texts.

http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/lite/#plans-tab

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Did you buy the phone new from your mobile phone company or did you put in your old Sim card in to the phone that's from a different network?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

Hi Beatrice,

Are you on prepay or monthly? The best thing to do is go into Vodafone and ask them about the data add-on option. If you're on the monthly plan you can buy internet acess for €9.99 a month (this is 1GB of data, whcich is plenty for checking email, surfing web, downloading podcasts, music etc). I'm not sure whether Vodafone does mobile internet for Prepay users though.

You could get a wireless router for your BT/Vodafone broadband, in fact it's worth the investment in case you purchase more wireless capable devices like an iPod touch, PSP, etc. But as a previous poster mentioned this will not give you internet access on the go because it is only within the confines of your house.

I'd suggest going into Meteor, 3 and O2 and finding out what data plans they have for data add-ons i.e. mobile internet. However, €9.99 isn't too bad to get your shiny new HTC all interwebs ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

If the phone is originally from a different carrier isn't it possible sometimes to get a phone signal when using another sim but not be able to access data? Maybe OP just needs to unlock her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭cheeseofdoom

She was saying its unlocked and unbranded so should be grand.

Hey,

thanks for all the replies.

I'm on prepay, so i am going to have a look around and get some data add-on as you have suggested.

The meteor lite one sounds good, but a lot of people is talking about the one from Three.ie.

I will let you know which one I choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ozz

I had the same problem - unlocked unbranded desire - vodafone prepay.

When I rang Vodafone these are the options they gave me:

1. Go on a monthly plan and get a data add-on.
    2. Work off the existing 99c per day charge for using internet from your mobile. this allows you 50MB per day which is pretty generous. You don't need to do anything to set this up it should just work that way.

I had read stuff on this site before about being able to get a 5GB monthly add-on using a vodafone pre-pay phone so I logged into the Vodafone website and was able to add a 5GB monthly bundle that way. Costs 20 euro but if you top up by 30 euro a month you get 6 euro extra credit, after internet this leaves you with 16 euro for calls. I still have free vodafone to vodafone calls and texts and I use Cabbage (android app that allows you to use your webtexts) from my phone for texting other networks.

• Advertisement

Hey Ozz,

cheers! that was so helpful. I want to do the same and purchase the add-on but I cant find where? if I go to the Pay as you go mobile broadband in the Vodafone site, I dont get the option to buy the add-on, just the USB modem. Do i have to get the modem???:confused:

You can find it under My Mobile - Extras (see attached screenshot)

You will be asked to enter some digits from your password again but after that you should be directed to a screen where you can purchase extras.

You should see an option to add data.

No need to get modem.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭djgaillimh

Man, I was going over that 50MB a day allowance on my K800i, I hate to think how much damage I'd do with the Desire! :eek:

Beatrice - with regards your wi-fi problem, just ring up Vodafone and ask them if they'll send you a wireless modem.

If you were with BT before then I'm guessing your 12 month contract period is expired (ie it's been longer than a year since you signed up for broadband)? So ring them up, tell them you're happy with Voda but that you need a wireless modem and you can get a free one by switching providers (which is true!)... they'll almost certainly give you one for free, just to try and keep you on their network.

I was in the same boat and they sent me one.

It's dead handy being able to connect to the internet on your phone while you're at home, and it'll save you using too much of your mobile data allowance.

So, I purchased the data add-on (thanks ozz:)), and still no internet. I have turned on mobile network but nothing is happening...what am I doing wrong?:confused:

@djgaillimh: you know what? you are so right! I was just looking into that option yesterday, because my broadband package is ancient, as you say, still with the same scheme BT had, where I dont even have free landline calls or anything so I am wasting my money badly. I am going to switch to Vodafone Talk Anytime package for €45 per month and yeah it says a free wireless modem is included...(and they wanted me to pay €80 for one:mad:)

But now, to the point... why cant I access Internet from my lovely desireeeeeeee:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

You may need to send the internet settings from the Vodafone site to your phone.

sorry Beatrice, forgot to give you the APN settings to access your new data package. my bad.

You need to add a new APN. to do this go to Settings - Wireless & networks - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names - Menu - New APN.

use the following settings to set up the APN:

Vodafone Ireland Data Settings
    Name Vodafone ISP
    APN hs.vodafone.ie
    Proxy leave blank
    Port leave blank
    Username vodafone
    Password vodafone
    Server leave blank
    MMSC http://www.vodafone.ie/mms
    MMS Proxy 10.24.59.200
    MMS Port 80
    MMS Protocol WAP 2.0
    MCC 272
    MNC 01
    Authentication type <Not set>
    APN Type <Not set>

I got them from this site:
    http://tech-n-life.com/index.php/2009/12/support-sunday-set-up-android-data-connection-settings-in-ireland-android/

That should be all you need. best of luck, the phone works a whole lot better with internet access.

hey ozz

THANK YOU!!!:D I have my internet working now. I actually saw a post before with those details but i didnt know what they were for.

Now, I can donload my firts app...cabbage:p

Last question... if I have mobile network on all the time... is that going to waste my credit? will i have to turn the connection off when I am not using it? or how this works?

Sorry, i feel like such a dummy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you haven't signed up for a package then you are one the ¢99 a day tariff. So you can leave the mobile internet on all the time but it will cost you ¢99 every day, or you can just disable it on the days you don't need it. If your on a package then you can leave it on 24/7 and it won't cost you any more. Either way just be careful not to go over your cap or else things will get pretty dear quickly.

Also if you can't get a wireless modem off Vodafone for free then I'd advise you to buy a wireless router second hand of either Ebay or adverts. You shouldn't have to pay more than €40 (and I've seen good ones for as low as €20) for a decent one and its worth it so you don't use your mobile cap when at home.

hey beatrice,

If you got the 20 euro monthly data package like i did it gives you 5GB of data.

Unless you start downloading a lot of music and video you should never get through that in a month so you can leave the internet on 24/7.

(download 3g watchdog app to monitor your usage if you're worried)

Once the month expires it will probably start using your credit until you buy again but it tells you the expiration date on the vodafone website so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again everyone.

I am defo getting a wireless modem because i have to change broadband package with vodafone and one of those is included :)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ozz wrote: »
    use the following settings to set up the APN:

Vodafone Ireland Data Settings
    Name Vodafone ISP
    APN hs.vodafone.ie

Can anyone confirm that Vodafone ISP is 99c a day as with vodafone live! I was under the impression that the ISP APN was still more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,445 ✭✭✭✭ted1

if its unbranded you'll have to set up the APN settings. bring it in to the mobile shop of who ever your with and ask them. or get teach savy friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Keith186

Can anyone confirm that Vodafone ISP is 99c a day as with vodafone live! I was under the impression that the ISP APN was still more expensive.

Its 19 c per megabyte.
    Roaming charges apply if abroad unlike the live apn on bill pay.

Advertisement