Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match Thread** Tue, June 15th @ 20:15 in Wes#1- Boardeaux V Woodbine

Options
  • 14-06-2010 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

GK

Clay - In

Defenders

Andy
    Cathal - In
    Dan - In
    Ed - in
    Keith - In
    Glenn - In
    Graham - In
    Martin - In

Midfield

Cillian - In
    Collie - In
    Conor - In
    Eoin - In
    Gav - In
    Kenny - Work

Forwards

Anto - In
    Ciaran
    Dave - work
    Jules - In

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm in.

This wont be an easy one, they've improved of late from the times I've seen them and they managed a draw with MDMA last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im going to chance playing a half tonight up front for rocco. am able to run ok and play off my left, but cant kick with my right. played a 4 hour tournament on saturday in goals and the leg held up, so nearly there. if i get through tonight, hopefullly will be fully fit in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I Am In

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm in.

• Advertisement

for the first time in 9 weeks - In!

ended up having to play last nite for longer than i thought, we had only 11 others and one of them got injured so i had to play. did ok, not very sharp but played my part and the leg held up...

a 10 minute cameo with us winning by a few would do me nicely tonight:pac:

we need a top performance tonight lads, no excuses. weve been playing superb then mediocre all season, need to end that asap.

ciaran is still in LA by the way, home tomorrow i think!

1-0 win with a goal from jules last kick of the first half.lucky to win, we could easily have conceded, some last gasp blocks and one great save from clay, though i think we just about deserved it overall, had more possession.

poor performance, we seem to be playing very flat, totally dead, lacking creativity expecially in the final 3rd of the pitch.luckily it didnt matter tonight, 1 goal was enough, but it wont be good enough in the rest of teh league.

back up to 3rd at least, 4 points off top. massive few games coming up. but we are missing something, we badly need a kick up the arse to get us going again, 3 of the last 4 weeks we have been playing like never before, i cant put my finger on it, but we are much better than this and all over the pitch we need to be doing better.

next week is a chance to put it right, against ss rovers, our bogey team, so we wont take anything for granted. somehow we are still in this league and weve a chance, but next few results will dectate how long more we are in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

3 points in the bag. A workman like performance. bigger test next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

It was a 1-0 win against a team with 1 point from 27 so it wasn't a good performance by any means but I wouldn't have it as negative as that.

We actually cut them open many times and got in behind them more than any other team, but it was more composure that was lacking than creativity I'd say - we had several opportunities to pick a man out for a tap in but execution was just off. Not miles off, just off. Sharpen up on that and it'd have been a different scoreline.

But you do have to acknowledge that last week we let a team back into it from 2-0 up and (though we were just as likely to score a second) they could have nicked a draw last night with some good chances they had.

You can look at the symptoms and say we were trapped in our half cos our moves were breaking down or you can look at the root cause and that's because we once again started sitting deep after taking a lead. We're far better off playing to our strengths. And our strength clearly is not closing up shop - we look panicked not assured when trying that. Our strength lies in our playing our passing attacking game to focus on scoring more goals than the opposition. A 2nd goal last night would've opened the floodgates.

I'm all about the focusing on 3 points one week at a time, but if you don't look for lessons to learn as you go, you don't make the difficult step up from also-rans to winners. The lesson here is undoubtedly that we are best when playing our own game, not when worrying about stopping the opposition playing theirs. Regardless of whether sitting deep as a strategy is right or wrong (definitely wrong in my opinion), it is plain as day that our execution of that strategy makes it a terrible option for us, especially when you look at the moves we can create when we push forward. I fully believe if we look to really take the game to the opposition from start to finish we have what it takes to win this league - I haven't seen any other team play the football we can play when we're in the mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Agree with all of that, sitting back just doesn't help. The man I was marking last night never went over the half way line, did I sit back an extra ten or twenty yards just in case he did come forward or to have an extra man over? No, I forced him to mark me in their half and I should have scored twice towards the end. We had people dropping back marking phantom players which then allows their unmarked midfielders and full backs to come onto the ball with time and space. It's a stupid strategy and it'll be our downfall if we don't sort it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement