Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van "Chipping"??

Options
  • 14-06-2010 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

2.2L 2003 Ducato - getting about 25mpg max. The van is underpowered (falls out of cruise control all too often). Looking at the idea of getting it "chipped".

Any body ever done this before - any advice

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

one of our customers got his 2.8 JTD done by Upsolute , by their Cork agent . He is delighted with it , and has several thousand kms on it , including trips abroad .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

www.autoremap.ie also do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I added a p-tronic tuning chip to my 2.8 Ducato. Massive difference, rarely have to drop down to 4th gear for overtaking and hill climbs. Much smoother overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Try give it a service maybe or is it regularly serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭shaysue

What kind of cost is involved in this??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

shaysue wrote: »
    What kind of cost is involved in this??

Around €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Hi Plug

Van is regularly serviced.....just needs a few extra horses under the bonnet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Another vote for autoremap.ie. Got mine done there last year and done over 5000 miles since with no issues. Apparently in my case the power went from 110->140 HP and it certainly feels that way.

Tuning boxes can be real evil as they just skew sensor data. It can work sometimes quite well but there are risks. In common rail diesels one of the ways they work is to trick the ECU to increase the fuel pressure at fuel rail and this may create really big problems (our '02 vintage Merc CDi does not take that well for example and the end result can be a leaking high pressure pump or wrecked fuel rail I read somewhere).

Remap on the other hand "intelligently" changes the way the injectors are driven. For example in my case the van feels totally like stock to drive except with more power and there is never any black smoke. The van has a big gap between 3rd and 4th gears and after remap it can often be driven on 4th at urban speeds instead of 3rd.

Just giving my 5c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Interesting . Where are they based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Hi Aidan_M_M, when I got mine done it was in Shankill, Co. Dublin.

Seems a small company and eager to please, but in fairness there are many competing outfits around. I chose them as there was a boards group thingie going on at the time but anyway would use them again if I needed another vehicle done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Cheers for all the replies folks

Advertisement