Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ba mhaith liom gaeilge a foghlaim?

Options
  • 14-06-2010 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Dia daoibh (?) gach duine, I was wondering does anybody have any advice on how I can majorly improve mo gaeilge ie classes or great cd's and books? My son is starting in a naionra in September and I am determined to be able to speak Irish to his muinteoir. I am fully committed to learning it over the summer so would love to do a course or class during this time.

I looked on forasnagaeilge but didnt understand what they were advertising in terms of books and classes :( I would also love to get some very basic books in Irish to read to my son over the summer, as the librarys Irish books for children are very long and confusing for me. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Go raibh maith agaibh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Conradh na Gaeilge are doing classes over the summer, tad expensive though
    https://cnag.ie/index.php?page=course&action=dublin

Búntus cainte series are good books for beginners and comes with a CD
    Teach yourself Irish is also good and teaches you a bit of grammar also

Here a books for children aged 2-6
    http://www.litriocht.com/shop/index.php?cPath=59_60

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It has been my experience that local libraries have plenty of books to help learners.

Check yours out you will be surprised at the amount there - if not you can book them in from surrounding libraries or from anywhere in ireland with borrowbooks.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Try this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Dia is muire duit.

Maith thú

I would sugest joining a conversation group.
    I am in one in Waterford city.
    (Gingerman Bar,Every Thursday,9.30 ''SHAMELESS ADVERTISMENT'' :D )

I found that just from speaking and listening to others I am picking up Irish at a good rate.It is a relaxed atmosphere with very little pressure.This would provide the kind of Irish you would be looking for as far as talking with teachers is concerned.

There is also one in An Rinn,(waterford gaeltacht)
    I have also heard of one in Kilkenny and a few down in Cork.

If your not in the area Im sure others here will Know if there's one near where you live.

Go n-eirí an t-ádh leat:)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Bougeoir

Rosetta Stone actually do Irish now! I tried it out, it's really good and is without translation (using it for Spanish at the moment too :) You learn through pictures. Some people find it useful and others don't. It depends really. But I found it to be useful. Of course, I wouldn't rely on it to learn Irish entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Get a copy of Buntús Cainte and join a conversational group. Nothing beats experience of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Bougeoir wrote: »
    Rosetta Stone actually do Irish now! I tried it out, it's really good and is without translation (using it for Spanish at the moment too :) You learn through pictures. Some people find it useful and others don't. It depends really. But I found it to be useful. Of course, I wouldn't rely on it to learn Irish entirely.

Hey Bougeoir, am just wondering have they native speakers speaking on it?
    Or is it purely all pictures and no sound files? I've never used it before for any language.

They have native speakers. It's audio and pictures. It's decent, but too expensive IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

dlofnep wrote: »
    They have native speakers. It's audio and pictures. It's decent, but too expensive IMO.

The pirate down at the bay might help you out on that

Sin an áit a fuair mé é :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Dia daoibh (?) gach duine, I was wondering does anybody have any advice on how I can majorly improve mo gaeilge ie classes or great cd's and books? My son is starting in a naionra in September and I am determined to be able to speak Irish to his muinteoir. I am fully committed to learning it over the summer so would love to do a course or class during this time.

I looked on forasnagaeilge but didnt understand what they were advertising in terms of books and classes :( I would also love to get some very basic books in Irish to read to my son over the summer, as the librarys Irish books for children are very long and confusing for me. Any advice greatly appreciated!

Go raibh maith agaibh

GAS caint is just the thing for you. simple instructions for children as gaeilge. costs about 30 euro.

your local library should have a converstion group.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

Go raibh maith agaibh gach duine leis an eolas seo! I will try them all out.. hopefully! Slan

Advertisement