Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

agricultural science

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Anyone got advice on whether to study a degree in Agricultural Science in WIT or UCD....or to go for it at all when the offers come out...the big question is are graduates over the past few years able to find work with a BSc AG Science???

Sue:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

laughable wrote: »
    Anyone got advice on whether to study a degree in Agricultural Science in WIT or UCD....or to go for it at all when the offers come out...the big question is are graduates over the past few years able to find work with a BSc AG Science???

Do leaving cert students not read newspapers anymore? Get off fucking facebook, read a fucking newspaper or something.
    There are no jobs, do you understand? No jobs means no jobs.
    It doesn't matter what graduates have done over the past few years, it's all a cluster fuck now. Besides, whether you pick WIT or UCD it'll be four years and by the time you get out things might have changed... but don't pick a course because of job prospects, pick it because you like it. Personally I'd pick UCD, not because I've gone here but because I know a chap that did Horticulture in WIT and he said it was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Ag degrees tend to have a high employment rate,before everything went to sh*t,that is.Remember you will be coming out of your degree 4 years from now the country will be a very different place employment-wise

From What I know of other colleges UCD has one of the best Ag degrees in the country,we tend to focus much more on the lab work and science behind the course rather than the practical.

One misconception I'd say half of the first years in Ag had this year was that is was going to be hanging out on a farm driving tractors and dosing cattle,it's not Agriculture is a serious degree in life sciences,we still study evolution and genetics throughout the degree,it's a level 8 for a reason.

just my opinion but I'd say UCD if you want a more technical degree with probably higher prospects afterwards.WIT if you want to go into farming on a more practical level,saying that it's a college degree you can a hell of a lot of different directions regardless of which you do.

By the way,I just finished first year Agriculture,send me a PM if you want any more info or anything

Ag degrees tend to have a high employment rate,before everything went to sh*t,that is...

+1, OP what Ginja said above is absolutely correct right on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'd second what ginja ninja said.

I've just finished an ag degree and from what I've heard from people I know in WIT, UCD's degree is much better. It's more academic and science based which will stand to you in the future - opens up a wider range of employment opportunities.

As the others have said, don't chose your degree with employment in mind (beside you won't get employment anywhere at the moment anyway), especially if you want to go down the ag route which is very broad. Chose something you enjoy and are interested in.

A few from my class are going on to do masters/phds. Some have secured jobs, a few abroad from the work placements you do in 3rd year. I don't know % of graduates gaining employment but I doubt AgSc is any lower than other degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 laughable

I really appreciate the sincere advice offered by Ginja Ninja and Weebushy and will take on board what has been said to date..same can not be said towards El Siglo..flippant remark regarding facebook and interest in newspapers was tongue and cheek but perhaps you would care to refrain from repeated bad language, looks very unprofessional for someone of your academic calibre

• Advertisement

I really appreciate the sincere advice offered by Ginja Ninja and Weebushy and will take on board what has been said to date..same can not be said towards El Siglo..flippant remark regarding facebook and interest in newspapers was tongue and cheek but perhaps you would care to refrain from repeated bad language, looks very unprofessional for someone of your academic calibre

I'm not a professional, I'm a postgrad student and this is boards. Secondly, I don't need to post some contrived comment in a forum in order present oneself as intelligent, that's what exams etc are for.
    Also, you didn't read my entire post it wasn't totally unconstructive i.e. there are no job, don't pick a course because of job prospects, pick it because you like it, the WIT course isn't as good as the UCD one.
    Albeit, a rather mordant post I might have made, I was at least highlighting the issue that tends to skew ones judgement regarding a degree, employment prospects.
    Finally, if I had a penny for every time I heard a leaving cert student ask 'will this course get me a good job', I'd be able to pay off Anglo's debt.;)

See not once did I swear!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

UCD ag is a very good degree, you can move into pure life sciences for post grad if you do well and are interested and the food sector hasn't been as badly hit as other sectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 deise8

i know a good few agricultural science graduates (2009) from my time in UCD, from what i gather they are on the dole since they graduated a year to the day...having said that they seemed to enjoy the course..the craic and banter amongst the Ag's is second to none..experienced it first hand over the years on nights out with them...county colours nites etc...best of luck with your decision Sue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

Would you be definatly able to transfer to ucd from wit?

Advertisement