Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Reboot Loop

Options
  • 13-06-2010 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

The "Windows did not start successfully... etc." comes up, with Start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc. options, selecting all of them results in the computer restarting. :(

Tried repairing with the XP cd, but it doesn't recognise any commands. Anyone got any ideas, or want me to post up a screen shot to help? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The "Windows did not start successfully... etc." comes up, with Start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, etc. options, selecting all of them results in the computer restarting. :(
    Tried repairing with the XP cd, but it doesn't recognise any commands. Anyone got any ideas, or want me to post up a screen shot to help? Thanks.

I dont think there's any need to post screen shot, I think we're all very familiar with the Windows Advanced Menu. Have you added any new hardware recently or were you installing new software... i.e. can you think of anything that make have caused it to start displaying this behaviour..

You have the original CD so at least that is something... Your options are to
    a) fix the current XP install (which may be difficult)
    b) reinstall a clean copy of XP.

Do you have files on the hard drive that need to retrieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭CR 7

I dont think there's any need to post screen shot, I think we're all very familiar with the Windows Advanced Menu. Have you added any new hardware recently or were you installing new software... i.e. can you think of anything that make have caused it to start displaying this behaviour..

You have the original CD so at least that is something... Your options are to
    a) fix the current XP install (which may be difficult)
    b) reinstall a clean copy of XP.

Do you have files on the hard drive that need to retrieve?

Thanks for replying. I meant, screenshots of error messages, didn't mean to insult your knowledge or anything.:o

No new hardware installed, but it's a family computer so can't keep track of any software installed. I didn't install any myself anyway.

There is some files I'd need to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Padgeman

Thanks for replying. I meant, screenshots of error messages, didn't mean to insult your knowledge or anything.:o

No new hardware installed, but it's a family computer so can't keep track of any software installed. I didn't install any myself anyway.

There is some files I'd need to recover.

This way should fix it, if it is corruption in the windows files needed for startup.
    • Boot from the CD
    • When it gets to the menu, press R on the keyboard to open the recovery console,
    • when it gets there, type the following (without quotes) "chkdsk /r"
    • That last one could take a while, but when it's finished, type the following, again without quotes "chkdsk /p"
    • Again, that could take a while, but when it's done, type "fixboot", this should take 2 or 3 seconds.
    After all this, it should boot normally. Hope this helps :)

Advertisement