Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about a conversion...

Options
  • 13-06-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hey,

I know this is neither a motorhome or a campervan, but the idea follows same suit. Would be great if you could share your knowledge!

We are looking into getting a tour bus for our equipment and crew. The actual bus idea is out the window as loading and unloading lots of equipment is unfeasible. So I was thinking of converting an old horsebox. The big lorry style horseboxes though - not just the trailers.

Basically we need lots of room in the back section for equipment - would strip out all the horse ****e. The ramp would be ideal as all our equipment is on wheels. Then the plan is to convert the front section into a room with 4 beds and then another room with an office. Mains would be supplied by a generator or plugged in when at a venue or the warehouse.

Have a few questions that hopefully some of you will be able to answer:
    • What class licence is required to drive one of these lorrys?
    • How much is tax on these, and is insurance much more expensive than on a large van?
    • What is the law regarding passengers sleeping/working in office while vehicle is in motion?
    • What would be the best material to use to build the partitions? Plasterboard? Just ply?
    • Where would be the best place to source supplies like beds etc?
    • How much would it cost to get a horsebox repainted (from what I have seen, they all look pretty dingy and could do with a lick of paint)
    • Any estimation of the cost of the project from start to finish?
    • Anyone took on a project like this, and if so, how did it turn out?

Advertisement