Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PLC admission: these are my worries.

Options
  • 13-06-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have applied for an Applied Science (CASLT) course as it's quite possible that I will fall extremely short of any of my college course requirements (I would like to study some form of biological science, botany and ecology being the most favoured).

The problem is that there's a distinct possibility of me failing a subject or two, mathematics being among them. The Fetac course I've applied for requires 5 passes, and that shouldn't really be a problem. But seeing as it's scientific, will they send me packing once it transpires that I've failed maths?

I have a genuine interest in biology and read quite a bit about in my (now scarce) free time (Dawkins, S.J. Gould etc.), and I'm pretty good at the subject, but.. Well, basically, what's going to count more, my probably abysmal results or an actual interest in the course material? I really, really don't wish to repeat. Can't stand the secondary school environment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I can't speak for all FEs but in the one I'm in you need five passes - in anything. If its felt or you feel that you need to upgrade your maths there are extra courses you can do, but to get in, just the five passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NeonAddict

I have applied for an Applied Science (CASLT) course as it's quite possible that I will fall extremely short of any of my college course requirements (I would like to study some form of biological science, botany and ecology being the most favoured).

The problem is that there's a distinct possibility of me failing a subject or two, mathematics being among them. The Fetac course I've applied for requires 5 passes, and that shouldn't really be a problem. But seeing as it's scientific, will they send me packing once it transpires that I've failed maths?

I have a genuine interest in biology and read quite a bit about in my (now scarce) free time (Dawkins, S.J. Gould etc.), and I'm pretty good at the subject, but.. Well, basically, what's going to count more, my probably abysmal results or an actual interest in the course material? I really, really don't wish to repeat. Can't stand the secondary school environment.

When I did a leaving cert I was a math class waster and my math teacher told me I will never get into any college to do anything I want without passing math and guess what HE WAS WRONG Im now second year in college and happy about it and I almost failed math got a D3 in Ordinary somehow.

This is what I tell you if you go back the chances are you will fail math again as its like rocket science not easy subject.So it will be pointless and you more likely will regret it.If you go for Fetac it will get you ready for what lies ahead in the college study and you will be graded differently and I heard you can add points together from FETAC to your leaving cert to get into more prestigious college that you dream to go to and then failing math wont matter.Plus you will find it much more easier to do Fetac because you will be doing what you like and from experience I know you will do the homework assigments your given because you will enjoy doing them more than stupid math and FETAC is much more easier than redoing leaving cert as you will be less stressed at it so if I were you id give FETAC A TRY.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

NeonAddict wrote: »
    When I did a leaving cert I was a math class waster and my math teacher told me I will never get into any college to do anything I want without passing math and guess what HE WAS WRONG Im now second year in college and happy about it and I almost failed math got a D3 in Ordinary somehow.

This is what I tell you if you go back the chances are you will fail math again as its like rocket science not easy subject.So it will be pointless and you more likely will regret it.If you go for Fetac it will get you ready for what lies ahead in the college study and you will be graded differently and I heard you can add points together from FETAC to your leaving cert to get into more prestigious college that you dream to go to and then failing math wont matter.Plus you will find it much more easier to do Fetac because you will be doing what you like and from experience I know you will do the homework assigments your given because you will enjoy doing them more than stupid math and FETAC is much more easier than redoing leaving cert as you will be less stressed at it so if I were you id give FETAC A TRY.

It's not really a question of whether I want to do a Plc. I will go to great lengths not to repeat these accursed exams. Plc sounds almost more ideal since I'd love to get a more solid grounding in chemistry and had a wider range of college choices.

What I was asking was whether they'd let me do a plc in the first place with sub-par results in maths (and/or English, Irish, etc =/). Again, I'm pretty keen on the biological sciences but I'm doubtful about that making much of an impression in the interview if I have dunce-grades.

Speaking of.. Any interview pointers? What can I expect? I'm not a drug addict or a pyromaniac or anything, in case the interview only serves to assess your sanity..

Advertisement