Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help convince me buy an iPad

Options
  • 13-06-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭

Current iPhone 3G user and lover.

Use it mainly sitting on sofa, bed, travelling, etc. No special desire to go 4G or 3GS.

Thinking that I would love an iPad, but just trying to justify cost (purely psychological exersize I'm sure)

What I will definitely use;
    - browser (99% of boards use on iPhone, prob 70% of all web use, flash not an issue)
    - books (love the idea of getting books digitally, also have plenty of PDF books)
    - music (have gigs of piano music on PDF... would love to be able to just stick it up on piano without printing)
    - vids (have a huge collection of iPod tv stuff (purchased or ripped legitemately)
    - simple spreadsheet stuff
    - use as digital photo frame when docked
    - email

So... throw some more "wow" apps and uses on the list, and help me spend my hard earned.

(Thinking of 3G 64g by the way)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Once you surf on the iPad you'll never use your iPhone for the same purpose, and indeed wonder how you managed withnsuch a small screen.

10 hours battery life on average from heavy usage, beautiful screen, books look great, video looks great, very fast, really responsive......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭Brian017

Sorry for thread hijacking, but just a quick question.

Is the 3g version worth the extra money for the average user?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Brian017 wrote: »
    Sorry for thread hijacking, but just a quick question.

Is the 3g version worth the extra money for the average user?

For me the reason I am considering getting the 3G is so I can use it on the move.

However if used mostly at home and you have wireless internet, then perhaps not.

Also it's possible to use a MIFI pod to effectively add-on the 3G capability pretty cheaply.

But if I get one, I'm getting 3G.

3DataModem wrote: »
    Also it's possible to use a MIFI pod to effectively add-on the 3G capability pretty cheaply.

How would one do this? Is it just a case of buying an MiFi pod and popping a sim card into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Can I hijack this thread aswell please. Do I have to get a seperate broadband contract for an ipad or will it work from my wireless broadband? I was thinking of getting one for my son but I dont know if I have to pay a monthly fee for it or is it free after I buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Can I hijack this thread aswell please. Do I have to get a seperate broadband contract for an ipad or will it work from my wireless broadband? I was thinking of getting one for my son but I dont know if I have to pay a monthly fee for it or is it free after I buy it.

WiFi works off wireless connections, so no charges

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Second Generation iPad

- Probably released before Christmas
    - Same screen technology as the new iphone
    - Will have a front facing camera to support Facetime
    - Will have greater capacity
    - Will have longer battery
    - Might even be cheaper

I'm very tempted to buy one now but will wait until October (my birthday :) ) if there is no sign of 2nd gen by then I will buy !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Second Generation iPad

- Same screen technology as the new iphone
    - Will have a front facing camera to support Facetime
    - Will have greater capacity
    - Will have longer battery
    - Might even be cheaper

I'm very tempted to buy one now but will wait until October (my birthday :) ) if there is no sign of 2nd gen by then I will buy !

Can't see a next gen released before Christmas, when they might not even get out the 1st gen into some markets until August/September?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Second Generation iPad

Not a chance. It'll be April 2011 at the earliest. Maybe even late summer. All of Apple's media devices have a 1 year refresh cycle. There won't be any 2nd gen iPad this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Hi all
    Quick question. Does the iPad have logins? Ie can you have multiple profiles/logins and people can log into whichever one they want?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Brian017 wrote: »
    How would one do this? Is it just a case of buying an MiFi pod and popping a sim card into it?

That's what I do. Works fine. Got an unlocked mifi on ebay and use a prepay o2 broadband sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

elderlemon wrote: »
    Hi all
    Quick question. Does the iPad have logins? Ie can you have multiple profiles/logins and people can log into whichever one they want?

Thanks

Nope, it's note like a desktop OS. Thought it would be a problem it, but it wasn't :)

That's what I do. Works fine. Got an unlocked mifi on ebay and use a prepay o2 broadband sim.

Whats the data pricing like on o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not a chance. It'll be April 2011 at the earliest. Maybe even late summer. All of Apple's media devices have a 1 year refresh cycle. There won't be any 2nd gen iPad this year.

Sad Professor is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20001473-82.html

Lots of discussion on the web about the ipad having an earlier refresh . . I don't expect anything major but some tweaks like a front-facing camera are surely less than a year away now that 'Facetime' is out on the iphone 4

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-20001473-82.html

Lots of discussion on the web about the ipad having an earlier refresh . . I don't expect anything major but some tweaks like a front-facing camera are surely less than a year away now that 'Facetime' is out on the iphone 4

To me anyway, any camera on it would constitute a major change, and I can't see that happening that quick. They will have a contract for 5-6 or 10 million iPads to be made. I can't see them being left with a shedload they can't sell because they brought out a new one, they just don't work that way.

Advertisement