Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Singles Nights

Options
  • 13-06-2010 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a single bloke mid 20's who's looking to meet someone. An old watering hole of mine in Dublin city centre has begun hosting a singles night on Saturday nights. Now I wanna go but 90% of my mates are in a relationship and not willing to go back me up.

Would it be totally desperate if I was to go on me own? Personally don't don't know what to do but what do you in P.I. think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

i've been on A FEW AND HAVING A COPMRADE DEFINITELY MAKES IT EASIER.
    Saying that, many people do attend these events by themselves and they normally have ice-breakers at them too.

So when you are there it's not as bad as it sounbds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

Screw it dude. Go yourself if you have to. Like you said it's an old watering hole of yours so I'd say its safe say that you know some of the staff or that you may run into a couple of people you know anyway. Chin up our lad and remember smile and be confident you'll be talking to the girls in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

I don't know what the stigma attached to someone wanting to go out to a pub for a few drinks on their own is!So what!people will have their life passing them by if only going out when their mates want to!you only have one life, get dressed up and go!can't put your life on hold waiting for other people to be available to go out!Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dedrizzle

where is it on? and btw, I think u shud jst go on ur own, worst case scenario, you'll decide to leave.. and you won't be wondering about it or kicking urself 4 not going..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Go. You've nothing to lose and if it's speed-dating you'll have great crack. Just go with the aim of having a good night out and a laugh. You're in your 20s, a good few people your age group are single and they're probably more laid back and happier than older people.

Try doing something outside the pub/club circuit to broaden your interests as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Attending singles events like this is easier if you are with a mate. most people tend to go with a few others and you might find yourself standing on your own feeling a bit self conscious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Denimgirl

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    Attending singles events like this is easier if you are with a mate. most people tend to go with a few others and you might find yourself standing on your own feeling a bit self conscious.
    Can't live like that, like your a sado if you go on your own anywhere! it is a singles night after all! a girl is'nt going to be knocking at his door he needs to get out there and mingle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Micahelxcx

If your mates who are in relationships won't go with you , or won't go out with you, then they are not mates, merely acquaintences.
    It really pisses me off when I hear similar stories.
    A mate should back you up all the time. Instead, they get into a relationship and turn their back on their single friends.
    Well, remember what goes around, comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Micahelxcx

Forgot to say:

Next time your mates call on you to go out with them decline.
    Because they probably are free cos their gf is gone on a night out with her gfs;
    or the gf is gone away for a weekend.

Don't allow yourself be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zxcvbnm1

Micahelxcx wrote: »
    Forgot to say:

Next time your mates call on you to go out with them decline.
    Because they probably are free cos their gf is gone on a night out with her gfs;
    or the gf is gone away for a weekend.

Don't allow yourself be used.

it's probably not unfair to say you are overreacting there dude.

Because his friends who are in relationships won't go along to a singles night with him you conclude he us being used ?

Some warped logic going on there my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

I ran a single night before to raise money for charity, kinda speed dating meets wii tournament thing. It was mad laugh, got people to pay €5 for a game on the wii and paired them up with somebody else, best way in the world to break the ice that i've ever seen.

But getting back on track, I made all my friends attend the singles night, especially the one's with girlfriends, I mean just because you're with someone doesn't mean you can't go to these things. In fact most of the lads who had gf's brought them with them (could of been out of pity for me trying to raise the funds tho more than anything else).

But anyway, your friends shouldn't have a problem going, it's just like being wingman for a night, we've all done it on nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Denimgirl wrote: »
    Can't live like that, like your a sado if you go on your own anywhere! it is a singles night after all! a girl is'nt going to be knocking at his door he needs to get out there and mingle!

I agree with you in principle but i personally would feel a bit like billy-no-mates sitting with a drink by myself at a singles night....depends on whether you are the type to go chat to ppl or not maybe. Id be trying to drag some mates with me to have a laugh with them and then just see what happens.

People who are having fun themselves with a group of friends are a more attractive proposition than potential mr-axe-murderer in the corner having a drink by himself.

But perhaps thats not the right attitude to go to a singles night with, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

fungun wrote: »
    I agree with you in principle but i personally would feel a bit like billy-no-mates sitting with a drink by myself at a singles night....depends on whether you are the type to go chat to ppl or not maybe.
    People who are having fun themselves with a group of friends are a more attractive proposition than potential mr-axe-murderer in the corner having a drink by himself.

But perhaps thats not the right attitude to go to a singles night with, lol

Thats a misconception ,I went to a speedating event on my own as all my friends pulled out. For one thing the girls were extremely impressed ,that I had the balls to go on my ownio. I've found out when youre on you're own, girls are far more likely to chat to you.As theyre is no pressure on their part .Incidentally where is it ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Have to say something about this. Im not single myself but I just assumed that singles nights were for single people, not for a single person and a few of their attached friends. Some people are in a position where all their friends are hooked up already so they have no choice but to attend something like this on their own. And I just thought thats the way it was with a lot of single people. But having read some posts here it seems like what goes on is you have to attend with the back up of friends otherwise youre assumed to be a weirdo or potential axe-murderer??????? It seems like if you attend alone youre out of the game. That doesnt seem very fair. Like I said, not everybody will have a friend to back them up but that shouldnt mean anything. People should be free to attend these things on their own without fear of judgement.
    Embarressment could also play a part here, more so for the lads though I think. I know women dont mind telling their girlfriends all about their relationship status and all that but us blokes dont talk about stuff like that. Never mind ask a friend to accompany them on a singles night. All of my friends are married or seeing somebody but if one of the lads was single I seriously doubt he'd ask any of us to go with him on a singles night.
    I actually think it should be made a rule on singles nights that everybody has to come unaccompanied so that its an even playing field for all.

Advertisement