Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house alarm recommendations

Options
  • 13-06-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

My house was broken in to last night and now I want to get an alarm system installed,hopefully not too expensive but if I have to pay the extra for peace of mind i will.
    They came in through the living room window (how I don't know) so primarily I'm looking for sensors on that window.
    Any recommendations would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Ring a few local companies to get a few quotes. Look out for brands like Europlex, Aritech and Honeywell

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The newest systems on the Market at the moment that I would recommend are Europlex SigNet, Astec Fusion or HKC Securewave

The main features of each are Astec can use 2 wire & makes for easier wiring.
    HKC Securewave can be totally wireless making for easy installation.
    Signet has wireless & also the ability of remote access via built in web server & can also intergrate X10 home automation & door control.
    Have a look at the data sheets & ask me more then:)

I would avoid H K C until they sort out bugs in there software

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Jnealon wrote: »
    I would avoid H K C until they sort out bugs in there software

Interesting, what bugs have you come across ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are we talking about Secure Wave?
    I have had nor heard of any problems either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks for the replies lads,would i be able to install any of them myself or would i have to get someone out to install?

ooter wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads,would i be able to install any of them myself or would i have to get someone out to install?

It would really depend on your experience & ability to follow manuals.
    Have you done anything like this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best deterrant in my opinion is motion activated lights.... and motion activated cameras (internal)....can be done cheap enough.

most people ignore house alarms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Anyone get one done recently? I also need to get one to I have a 2 bed apartment and its pre-wierd ?
    Thanks!!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    best deterrant in my opinion is motion activated lights.... and motion activated cameras (internal)....can be done cheap enough.

most people ignore house alarms.

Believe me no one pays attention to sensor lights. Do you run out & look every time one goes on. I don't.
    Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Anyone get one done recently? I also need to get one to I have a 2 bed apartment and its pre-wierd ?
    Thanks!!
    Have a look at the links above. All of those would be easy enough for a pre wired apartment. If you need help you can give us a shout here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭ooter

koolkid wrote: »
    It would really depend on your experience & ability to follow manuals.
    Have you done anything like this before.
    No,a complete novice,but I'd try my hand at anything..

Like I said above. Worth a try if you can follow the manuals.
    If you get into difficulty you will get plenty of help here.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 graceadams

There's a lot of emotions that come with something like that happening.

When my grandmother was alive, she lived alone for several years and toward the end of her time her on earth, her home was broke into on 3 separate occasions over the course of a 4 or 5 year time period. Not only was it frustrating that an 80+ year old woman was being taken advantage of and disrespected like that, it was difficult to see her go through it knowing the emotional toll it took on her.

All of this again to say I'm sorry for that happening to you.

I don't have a specific alarm system to recommend, but I did see a news story that I wanted to share that may help give you an idea of a route to go... Plus, it was a feel good story where the good guys came out on top. :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1291253/A-man-scares-burglars-breaking-Florida-home-2-000-miles-away-Canada.html#ixzz0sY5ybx00

Good luck to you.

Grace

Nice story.
    A SigNET220 with some X10 devices could do that for you.

This will cover all your needs

POWERMAXPRO

A very good panel if you are on a tight budget.

True, it is great value and a good system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Nice story.
    A SigNET220 with some X10 devices could do that for you.

Any idea how much it will cost for a pre-wired house? For materials and fitting.

Home has:
    6 Double opening windows
    11 Single opening windows
    2 doors
    2 patio doors
    4 PIR

It will also need to connect to internet and dial out via eircom landline

Using SigNet 220 with 8 zone expander & 1 amp PSU between €1500-€1600

Using SigNet 220 with 8 zone expander & 1 amp PSU between €1500-€1600

Tyhanks for that, I dont supose you know who can supply and fit in North Cork?

• Advertisement

Electronic Technology
    (Cork) Limited
    Electronic Technology (Cork)
    Limited
    19 Summerhill North
    Cork

The best thing to do is ring around local alarm companys and get a few quotes for the system you require. Prices can vary, so always best to get a few quotes.

Sorry leadership , I was posting from my mobile earlier so was keeping it brief.
    This http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/8323CBA191C013C880257143002C9E9D/$File/Installer%20(Intruder%20Alarm)%20Licence%20Holders%20(12-07-2010).pdf is the register of PSA licenced installers . Click search (top left) & enter Cork to refine the list to your area.

Ask a few of your neighbours and friends who they got and then check against the psa register to see if they are licensed.
    Get three quotes and take it from there.
    I would seriously look at the signet, it's been around for a few years and is well proven and tested compared to some other panels

Thanks for the update.

I just found out that my company produce the Signet range and I get a discount on products so makes even more sence :D

the joys of working for one of the biggest companies in the world.
    Siemens make some good detectors as well

Sorry a dumb question possibly.......An offshoot of my company who produces the alarm will supply and fit for me as well as put in access control on the front doors and gates etc, however they are not on the PSA register.

What is the impact if the installer is not on the PSA register?

no issue as long as no money changes hands, also you wont qualify for a discount on your insurance

Advertisement