Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

purple flowering plant

Options
  • 13-06-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder could someone tell me the name of the lovely purple flower i'm seeing in bloom everywhere at the moment? It mostly seems to grow in rockeries and i've seen it growing through gaps in walls, and could it grow from a slip?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

casio4 wrote: »
    I wonder could someone tell me the name of the lovely purple flower i'm seeing in bloom everywhere at the moment? It mostly seems to grow in rockeries and i've seen it growing through gaps in walls, and could it grow from a slip?

Could be any number of things but I'm guessing it's Aubretia. Easiest method is division but it will grow easily from seed as a biennial or you could try cuttings in July, you may even pick up trays of them in a garden centre.. It will spread like wildfire so you should cut it back hard after flowering, this will also give you plenty of cuttings material and may even give a second floweringl.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

I agree, probably Aubretia. Campanula (Harebells) is another possibility. The trick with rockeries is to get a succession of flowering plants through the Spring and Summer. Right now, "Rock Roses " (Helianthemum) are in flower and they also put on a great show, with many different colours. And they're very easy to grow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rock roses are lovely, and very easy to grow from seed, then you have them for years. The first time I saw them was as a child, in the forecourt of a garage in Wales, so for years they were 'garage-in-Wales flowers'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect the OP is seeing campanula too. they're out in force around my place (phibsboro).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Thank you for the replies I googled the names you gave me and the one i'm after is Aubretia but i'm going to look into the rock roses aswell, thanks again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Event Manager

Yep, I'd say it's campanula too. It's just coming into bloom around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Local garden centre is selling campanula for €5.99 for a 4inch pot !!!

If you take up a clump of it, inclucing shallow root, it will grow almost anywhere you put it. Poor soil will take a bit longer.

Slugs love it when it is in small amounts !!! (from experience - aarrggghhh)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,106 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

usually campanula is available in small square pots at four for a tenner - €6 is a major ripoff. maybe because it's in flower, it's in greater demand and the price is up.

Advertisement