Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can i make my notes and all the learning in my head stay for longer

Options
  • 13-06-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Am in 5th year and am perparing for my lc next year this summer but when i study something on flash cards Answers on the back questions on the front i get it then maybe if i go back a week or two later i can't remember everything, How can i stop this because at the start of 6th year and the end i don't wanna panic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

Its a long time to expect to remember everything for a whole year. Simply readin your notes now, in a few weeks and a few months later it will all come back to you. Don't be expecting it all to go into your brain now, it wont ;) ... Continuous revising and reading at regular intervals can be very rewarding in exams. Its a shame I didn't think of this last year :D:D :P:P :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Its pretty simple really, don't just make one set of notes and read it every so often thats no help whatsoever. Rewrite stuff over and over again. For subjects like math theres nothing you can do only keep answering questions.

But really my number one recommendation to you is forget about your leaving, lock up your books and enjoy the summer. You'll die next year if you don't have fun while you still can, and dead people are well known to have very bad memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

I dunno, but if anyone has the answer maybe they could tell us the meaning of life aswell :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Peter03 wrote: »
    I dunno, but if anyone has the answer maybe they could tell us the meaning of life aswell :p

I have it narrowed down to one of two possibilities, its either pi or pie..

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Ive been told you have to see something seven times to remember it properly.

Try just walking around muttering what your trying to remember under your breath.
    Also a lot of people find telling someone about what your trying to learn helps. I used to lecture my little brother about the Vietnam War on long car journeys.

or during my LC what I did (and many parents won't allow this) is used coloured chalk to cover the walls my room in notes. So I had huge colourful biology diagrams, lists of French verbs, maths formulas on my walls and ceiling.
    try this in your back garden maybe, might wash away easier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Revise it. Look over it the next day. Look over a week after. Then a month after. Then it will be in your permanent memory. It sounds awkward to do though, and you will need to be organised.

I've never done that by the way. I'm a complete last minute crammer, but if I had the self-discipline and organisation for it, I would do it that way.

Cramming is only short term memory. For example, I did my English Paper 2 only 4 days ago, but I wouldn't be able to answer on Yeats today as well as I did on Thursday, as I crammed it in the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Just enjoy the summer of 5th year. Plenty of time next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Too troo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Write whatever you're learning out again and again. Writing it out really gets it into order in your brain.

Either that or try and explain it to other people. I find that explaining stuff to people helps me to understand that topic better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 student01

Cramming is only short term memory. For example, I did my English Paper 2 only 4 days ago, but I wouldn't be able to answer on Yeats today as well as I did on Thursday, as I crammed it in the day before.

That's the thing about the Leaving Cert... I will have forgotten everything by next week :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Ah, I remember when I was like you OP. So naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 nijel

i cant understand people that say dont do anything... you need a little peice of mind! i would spend atleast 2 days on each subject with a break day between if i was in our shoes again.

what i aimed to do before the leaving is type all my notes. then print those off. redo theese notes a second time blanking out words that are hard to remember. complte a few times and highlight what you forget. i think that worked for me even though i left it a little late. but i found it very efficent the night before my english exams :D

i will arise and go now
    _ ___ arise ___ __ n__

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Ask a question, If you writing notes put a question beside the notes. you remember more if your answering a question rather than trying to memorise it.

Advertisement