Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to...

Options
  • 13-06-2010 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

Having a bit of trouble fishing the slower pools along the Dodder, Im fishing dryfly upstream and casting to rising fish. The problem is they dont seem to be interested in my fly this could be down to the arong fly choice but I think I was close enough in looks etc. Im watching the drift making sure its not going to fast and dragging they fly tends to land fairly straight and does not land in coild of line. It could be the cast itself as Im using a lake rod and it could be landing a bit heavy. The faster water is a bit better as there is more room for error. So is it my casting and matching the hatch that I need to work on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yes, with dry fly fishing especially on a stream like the dodder the presentation is important. Try to make sure you're matching the hatch and use tippet no greater than 4lb b/s. Also, sink the leader near the fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Thanks for that, I'll have to get to leader sinkant already got the light tippets. Dont think my rod is helping things either. Any suggestions for a small dark sedge pattern?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Not a true sedge, but looks like a sedge: the Alder.

coolwings wrote: »
    Not a true sedge, but looks like a sedge: the Alder.

Thanks for that, I was'nt 100% sure it was a sedge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Sizes 12 in dark, and 14 and occasionaly 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 b.w.ollie

jack01986 wrote: »
    Having a bit of trouble fishing the slower pools along the Dodder, Im fishing dryfly upstream and casting to rising fish. The problem is they dont seem to be interested in my fly this could be down to the arong fly choice but I think I was close enough in looks etc. Im watching the drift making sure its not going to fast and dragging they fly tends to land fairly straight and does not land in coild of line. It could be the cast itself as Im using a lake rod and it could be landing a bit heavy. The faster water is a bit better as there is more room for error. So is it my casting and matching the hatch that I need to work on?
    Dodder trout are heavily fished for and so are well educated in the art of the angle,but generally if the fish stop rising as your fly passes over or near them ,you've probably spooked them.If they continue to rise around your fly ,you're probably using the wrong pattern.a grey duster is a great little ''search'' pattern it can be taken for most olive dun patterns (14/16) and even makes a good general midge pattern(18s). you do't say if it's during the day you're fishing for them.on bright sunny day's it's very difficult to get a rise on slow water. fish the fast and hit the slow at dusk,or on an overcast day.

Its mostly during the day allright have been working in the evenings. Thanks for that it'll be back to the faster water for a bit then.

Advertisement