Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing in UK

Options
  • 12-06-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi, Would anyone know if it is legal to tow a 12/14ft car transporter with the MH in the UK ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would say that depends on the combined weights, what your camper is plated for and your licence

With a normal Irish B licence you wouldn't have a hope

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Thanks peasent. Licence OK but weights might be an issue alright. So the length is no problem then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Over 3.5 tonne combined weight they would be looking for a tachograph as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭denmar

Combined weight of camper and loaded trailer ??? Sure not a hope so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Are you definite on that? Seriously? OR is it just something you've heard ? Cos , I'm into rallying , and a helluva lot of guys tow rally cars on trailers , behind Sprinters and Hi-Cube Trannys etc , and never heard of anyone being stopped , either English or Irish . Hell , we've done it a lot ourselves .

One thing about driving in the UK I have found , if you have a clean rig , all lights working , a well tied down load , clear number plates and maintain a sensible spped , you'll never get looked at .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

This is a chart which shows if a tachograph is required http://www.ntta.co.uk/images/tachograph_chart_l.gif

If you are towing a trailer for recreational reasons with you don't require one. If you are going to a trade show and you are using your MH to tow a trailer full of goods to sell you do.

Advertisement