Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant when 2 siblings in college??

Options
  • 12-06-2010 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Ok, So the Guidance Councillor in my school told me that i was elegable for a grant because my sister and I will be in college at the same time. But i'm looking on the internet for this now and i can't find it anywhere?!

I was just wondering if someone could tell me if there actually is a grant if there's 2 membors of the same family in college at the same time?? :confused:

Thanks in advance!!

Tom

Comments

I got a grant last year when I was in first year of college and my sister was in her second year of college at the time. We both got grants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Can ya tell me where you applied for these grants please... I was looking at the studentfinance.ie n i cant seem to find anything out about this grant?!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Yup, the income limits increase:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/third-level-education/fees-and-supports-for-third-level-education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses
    In the 2010/2011 academic year, where 2 or more children (or the candidate's parent) are pursuing the courses listed below, the reckonable income limits may be increased as follows:

In Full maintenance and Exemption from SSC categories by €4,980 where there are 2 such children, €9,960 where there are 3 such children and so on, by increments of €4,980
    In Part maintenance 75%, 50% and 25% categories by €4,815 where there are 2 such children, €9,630 where there are 3 such children and so on, by increments of €4,815
    The courses in question are:

Full-time third-level courses
    Recognised PLC courses, student nurse training or student Garda training
    Fáilte Ireland courses of at least one year's duration
    Full-time Teagasc courses in agricultural colleges
    Recognised full-time further education courses of at least one year's duration in Northern Ireland

It's the normal 'maintenance grant' that true-or-false is referring to.

Advertisement