Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in ear monitors help

Options
  • 12-06-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

does anybody know where you can get in-ear monitors in ireland? i'm looking into getting some but don't know much.

do you have to have a different set for each person or can you get different mixes for a few people without spending loads of money. anyone recommend a specific brand? the prices seem to vary an awful lot. i saw dirty projectors using them and it sounded deadly. we sing in a band which usually ends up pretty loud on stage no matter what so IEMs seem to be the best option. getting audible vocals from stage monitors is a nightmare for us and sound guys.
    by any chance has anyone every tried a copperphone mic live? want to get one but i believe the feedback is a shocker unless you have IEMs.

any help would be brilliant. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

many of the systems have a stereo in, so..... send one mix to the right and one to the left and then doctor the headsets so one is wired for mono right and other mono left ;) 2 mixes from one system :)

to be honest you need to spend money on the headphones and packs to get decent sound from it, i run a slightly cheaper version and have to put a 31band graphic across my mix to get it to sound alive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

minogudk wrote: »
    does anybody know where you can get in-ear monitors in ireland? i'm looking into getting some but don't know much.

do you have to have a different set for each person or can you get different mixes for a few people without spending loads of money. anyone recommend a specific brand? the prices seem to vary an awful lot. i saw dirty projectors using them and it sounded deadly. we sing in a band which usually ends up pretty loud on stage no matter what so IEMs seem to be the best option. getting audible vocals from stage monitors is a nightmare for us and sound guys.
    by any chance has anyone every tried a copperphone mic live? want to get one but i believe the feedback is a shocker unless you have IEMs.

any help would be brilliant. :confused:

There are plenty of options, from AKG to Sennhieser sets. You could get one transmitter and a few receiver packs, but then everyone will get the same mix. So depending on your desk and the amount of Aux sends you can spare. You'll need more transmitters depending on the amount of mixes you want, then if your into multiples mixes a aerial may be needed to keep the signal strong across the stage.

So it all depends on your current setup as to see how its possible for you.

As for headphones, most come with standard headphones. Head phones can start at 30euro up to 300euro for dual/treble drivers. Then after that your into custom molds that can cost up to 1000euro. Best to start off with the standard headphones and move on if you need too.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

To clarify, if we wanted the best cheap ones, to headsets, one mix... How much we talking??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minogudk

There are plenty of options, from AKG to Sennhieser sets. You could get one transmitter and a few receiver packs, but then everyone will get the same mix. So depending on your desk and the amount of Aux sends you can spare. You'll need more transmitters depending on the amount of mixes you want, then if your into multiples mixes a aerial may be needed to keep the signal strong across the stage.

So it all depends on your current setup as to see how its possible for you.

As for headphones, most come with standard headphones. Head phones can start at 30euro up to 300euro for dual/treble drivers. Then after that your into custom molds that can cost up to 1000euro. Best to start off with the standard headphones and move on if you need too.
    thanks a million. so are you talking about wireless here when you talk about an aerial? is it the standard thing to have a wireless set? i have no preference about that really. we'd need three mixes i suppose. it's for gigging so desks would vary but it's usually decent places that we play in. so my understanding is you can get two mixes from one transmitter if you stereo it and use one headset for each side? do you always need a reciever pack per person? using one transmitter and different reciever packs would definitely be acceptable if we can't afford to have a different mix each. i really appreciate this cos i am not very knowledgeable. do you know anything about seinheiser sr300? do you know offhand any standard models that i could begin with to start pricing them even? is there anywhere that sells them in dublin do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 minogudk

PMI wrote: »
    many of the systems have a stereo in, so..... send one mix to the right and one to the left and then doctor the headsets so one is wired for mono right and other mono left ;) 2 mixes from one system :)

to be honest you need to spend money on the headphones and packs to get decent sound from it, i run a slightly cheaper version and have to put a 31band graphic across my mix to get it to sound alive :)
    aha. so would we be saying that to get three people going with IEM you'd have to get two packs and do that stereo jobby with one of them.what is the specification to look out for to make sure it can do that, just stereo in? or if people had to settle for the same mix do you reckon you can get away with just one set in any way? someone suggested one transmitter and three multiple reciever packs. what brand and model would you consider to be kind of industry standard? i've been trawling websites all day and still seem to be clueless!

• Advertisement

thanks a million. so are you talking about wireless here when you talk about an aerial? is it the standard thing to have a wireless set? i have no preference about that really. we'd need three mixes i suppose. it's for gigging so desks would vary but it's usually decent places that we play in. so my understanding is you can get two mixes from one transmitter if you stereo it and use one headset for each side? do you always need a reciever pack per person? using one transmitter and different reciever packs would definitely be acceptable if we can't afford to have a different mix each. i really appreciate this cos i am not very knowledgeable. do you know anything about seinheiser sr300? do you know offhand any standard models that i could begin with to start pricing them even? is there anywhere that sells them in dublin do you know?

Well wireless is what I assumed. Wired is more messy and the price difference is not really worth it. Drummers/Keyboard players are the easiest to set up for a wired system.

Using one pack to give two mixes is also very messy tbh. Possible but hardly worth the effort. If your a band that moves around you will find yourself tied to each other via wires, so hardly a good idea unless you all sit down :p

One transmitter and a few packs giving a general mix to all would be a good starting point. You said vocals are the main thing so as long as everyone is happy to share a mainly vocal mix then you should be ok. But again, everyone likes a little more of themselves giving that your cutting out a lot of stage DB from amps and kits so you may find investing in more units is going to happen.

The most worrying thing I take from your post is that your not doing the sound yourself. So, you need to trust the Sound Engineer 100%. Your cutting the distance the sound has to travel to your ear from feet to cm. One wrong turn of the knob and you could end up having snare being sent instead of more vocal and boom, your deaf. If your doing a gig with multiple bands then this is more likely to happen, so it depends on what why your giging. So I would think more about this before going down this road. Maybe you could look at whats causing the loud noise and ask them to change there set up.

The Seinheiser EW300 is the newer version if what I use. They are sold in packs with multiple SR300's. Also make sure you get the one for use in Ireland if your buying the units aboard. These units are design to scale up and have many handy add on's like aerial's, rack mounts and all in one power units.

Again, your biggest issue is not being in control of whats getting sent to you.

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    To clarify, if we wanted the best cheap ones, to headsets, one mix... How much we talking??

135 euro for DB Technology's stuff. Best and cheap can not really be in the same sentence when it comes to these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

someone suggested one transmitter and three multiple reciever packs. what brand and model would you consider to be kind of industry standard? i've been trawling websites all day and still seem to be clueless!
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/sennheiser_ew_300_iem_g2eband.htm
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/shure_psm200scl2_set_s5.htm

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

135 euro for DB Technology's stuff. Best and cheap can not really be in the same sentence when it comes to these things.

So this is good?

Cause that seems pretty cheap... it's not like you can only use it once...

I hope.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 poolking36

hi guys, i am looking for a set of in ear monitors with extra long cable.all the ones for sale in most stores are for ipods etc with a short cable,but i am looking for the extra long cable that can hang down my back while i'm playing drums. any ideas where i can get them?

cheers.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Jennifer Eccles

New kids on the block.
    Could be worth a try

https://www.facebook.com/LugsCustomIEM/

:)

Advertisement