Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for looking for Engineering Jobs with PhD

Options
  • 12-06-2010 2:25pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭

I'm near the end of my PhD at the moment, and want to start applying for jobs. I've a BE in Electronic Engineering. My PhD, when I'm finished, will be in Biomedical Engineering. In my research I have done bioelectric computer modeling and simulation (Electromagnetic finite elements, Conductance-based neuron models, Control system models). So in the past four years I've developed a relatively advanced skill-set in terms of simulation (COMSOL, Simulink) and programming (MATLAB, C++). In my spare time I'm a hobbyist App Developer for the iPhone, and have a number applications on the App Store. I've won some awards for my teaching responsibilities throughout my four years as well.

I don't necessarily want to stay in the Biomedical field - I would be equally interested in applying for any kind of electronic/electrical engineering position. I will also be applying for third-level teaching roles, but I suspect that hiring caps will still be in place. I would hope to be available for work by Christmas: is it a waste of time to apply speculatively long before I'd be realistically available to be hired, or should I be sending in speculative applications long ahead of time? The main thing I'm really wondering about is how to best to compete with graduates or with engineers with industry experience?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Red Alert wrote: »
    I'm near the end of my PhD at the moment, and want to start applying for jobs. I've a BE in Electronic Engineering. My PhD, when I'm finished, will be in Biomedical Engineering. In my research I have done bioelectric computer modeling and simulation (Electromagnetic finite elements, Conductance-based neuron models, Control system models). So in the past four years I've developed a relatively advanced skill-set in terms of simulation (COMSOL, Simulink) and programming (MATLAB, C++). In my spare time I'm a hobbyist App Developer for the iPhone, and have a number applications on the App Store. I've won some awards for my teaching responsibilities throughout my four years as well.

I don't necessarily want to stay in the Biomedical field - I would be equally interested in applying for any kind of electronic/electrical engineering position. I will also be applying for third-level teaching roles, but I suspect that hiring caps will still be in place. I would hope to be available for work by Christmas: is it a waste of time to apply speculatively long before I'd be realistically available to be hired, or should I be sending in speculative applications long ahead of time? The main thing I'm really wondering about is how to best to compete with graduates or with engineers with industry experience?

There's no harm in making enquiries now, I know of a company that has a habit of employing PhD holders just out of college. PM me if you want contact details.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Thanks!

PM Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Firstly I'd focus on what you'd like to do (regardless of the apparent availability), which will narrow the job search and allow you to tailor a CV. If there's nothing available or you're unsuitable (lack of experience etc.) pick your next choice and so on.

I was in the same situation some time ago and found a skills-based CV is very useful. The PhD teaches (or you teach yourself!) a huge number of skills, but few of these are obvious to employers unless they're very familiar with the research - you have to spell it out. In my experience most PhDs outside academia are employed for their problem-solving and numerical analysis skills rather than anything specific they did as part of their research. Experience is hard to compete against, but clearly demonstrating your skills and the relevance of these to employers goes a long way.

In terms of timing I don't see any issue with applying early for jobs - it shows than you're keen. Make sure to factor in thesis correction time as this is very difficult to do once you're working on something else during the day. Best of luck!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A lot of interesting tips there Turbulent Bill. What sector did you go into yourself?

A lot of interesting tips there Turbulent Bill. What sector did you go into yourself?

I'm in telecoms. My PhD was mechanical/electronic (cross-functional and roughly equally split between both fields), but what I'm doing now has little direct connection to my research - it's more the skills and broad engineering knowledge that are used. My employer has a large R&D focus, and they need people who can solve complex and/or poorly-defined problems that span many functional areas - this pretty much matched what I did for the PhD. They also have quite a few people employed with postgrad qualifications - depending on the sector it's not that unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

TB, can I send you my cv for an assessment by any chance..?!

TB, can I send you my cv for an assessment by any chance..?!

Sorry x, recruitment isn't my specialty - I've had as many PFO letters as the next person :). Thankfully I haven't had to look at it in a while, but from memory my CV has about half a page of personal blurb, educational history etc. and about a page on skills. The skills were just a heading ("Communication") followed by an example of where it was used successfully ("Presented complex technical information to international audiences, explained concepts to undergrads during tutorials" etc.).

The key thing is that one CV definitely doesn't fit all. You need to find the style that best matches you and whatever job you're trying to get.

Advertisement