Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outboard Repair

Options
  • 12-06-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi I would like to know if anyone knows off a good place to get my outboard checked in dublin and dont say Green Marine he cost a fourtune, Any body who does it as a nixer any info appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

In Dublin:
    Greene Marine
    O B Marine
    Western Marine
    Killen Marine
    B J Marine

But seeing as you said you consider Greene Marine expensive I don't expect those others would make you happy either, he charges less than them!
    You probably need a backyard guy on money needs, and could ask your local motorcycle shop for suggestions, but I don't think it is all that wise to get amateur marine repairs on safety grounds. You can always walk a broken bike home, but water poses special problems for that unless you're god!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What kind of outboard is it and whats wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

fishder wrote: »
    Hi I would like to know if anyone knows off a good place to get my outboard checked in dublin and dont say Green Marine he cost a fourtune, Any body who does it as a nixer any info appreciated.

Have to say i always found Cyril Greene a total gentleman to deal with and good at his job too..... i would not do a nixer job on an outboard....what happens when you are 4 miles from base in increasing wind strength??? and the engine wont start....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Western marine lads are extremely professional
    a friend always uses Greene Marine.

Not happy with the Killeen Marine service at all.
    I encountered a problem with my engine on sat that should have
    been spotted by the guys up there (boat was up there 3 times last summer). A guy fixing his own rib showed me what was wrong. And to my amasement- the corroded actuator was the route
    of all the elepctrical probs I have been encountering in the past 2 years.

To say im pi***ed off would be an understatement.

amatuer mistake on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheHawk

I have to agreee, greenemarine are expensive, but they have a good mechanic, their prices are in line with other rip off republic prices!

If you are passing through fermanagh then I can recommend NorthSouth marine in Eniskillen. I use them for my yearly outboard service.

If you phone ahead, they will have it done in an hour while your having a coffee,
    as you would imagine it costs 50% of the price of dublin prices ;)

• Advertisement

TheHawk wrote: »
    .... as you would imagine it costs 50% of the price of dublin prices ;)

Hmm ... €30-40 petrol to Enniskillen and back when the other is ten minutes down the road.
    I don't think there would be any saving by driving such an excessive distance for me. Timewise it would be no benefit for me either.

There is also all the other things I would get done by not wasting a valuable day off work taking my engine for a drive all around the country.
    I might even be able to fit in a cup of coffee. :)

I have to agreee, greenemarine are expensive, but they have a good mechanic, their prices are in line with other rip off republic prices!

If you are passing through fermanagh then I can recommend NorthSouth marine in Eniskillen. I use them for my yearly outboard service.

If you phone ahead, they will have it done in an hour while your having a coffee,
    as you would imagine it costs 50% of the price of dublin prices ;)

how much did the last service cost???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TheHawk

coolwings wrote: »
    Hmm ... €30-40 petrol to Enniskillen and back when the other is ten minutes down the road.
    I don't think there would be any saving by driving such an excessive distance for me. Timewise it would be no benefit for me either.

There is also all the other things I would get done by not wasting a valuable day off work taking my engine for a drive all around the country.
    I might even be able to fit in a cup of coffee.

Coolwings,
    If you read my post, I said that
    If you are passing through fermanagh then I can recommend NorthSouth marine in Eniskillen.

Some other people like myself get dragged up north shopping by the wife, so why not make it worthwhile!

I have friends who get their car serviced while they are up north, better value aswell!

ironbluedun,
    The service cost approx €65.

about €85 cheaper than my last service in GreeneMarine.

hawk €65 is a good price, that is compared to southern prices...my last service in feb of this year was around the €150 mark with no parts replaced....engines are a bit like your car when replacing it you tend to avoid the places that are too expensive or put the boot in for servicing.... but then again i have found that a lot of things to do with boating/marine seem to be crazy prices.....a nice little cosy cartel????

.....a nice little cosy cartel????

If it was cozy they wouldn't be closing, sacking and going part time.
    All the marine shops I know are less staff, and some part time.
    One place is being worked one day a week in Dublin.
    One closed in Naas.
    Another has no longer got any mechanics at all, Dublin.
    Greene Marine are most staff now part time, Dublin.
    Those are events, not views, so they are living on the margin of survival, and more will go before this is over I'm sure. Not a cozy cartel.

Look at the invisible taxes that we tend forget about as an individual but small business are getting creamed on since they are geared to milk larger businesses for tax monies ... insurance, water tax, rates, and 12 months of last year with the highest VAT in the EU being added to everything.
    I'd speculate every one of those costs are significantly lower in NI, and it would feed through alright, though the difference seems a lot.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote: »
    If it was cozy they wouldn't be closing, sacking and going part time.
    All the marine shops I know are less staff, and some part time.
    One place is being worked one day a week in Dublin.
    One closed in Naas.
    Another has no longer got any mechanics at all, Dublin.
    Greene Marine are most staff now part time, Dublin.
    Those are events, not views, so they are living on the margin of survival, and more will go before this is over I'm sure. Not a cozy cartel.

Look at the invisible taxes that we tend forget about as an individual but small business are getting creamed on since they are geared to milk larger businesses for tax monies ... insurance, water tax, rates, and 12 months of last year with the highest VAT in the EU being added to everything.
    I'd speculate every one of those costs are significantly lower in NI, and it would feed through alright, though the difference seems a lot.

Well i know what you are saying but how much of the 'cut backs' are due to a re-alignment of the marine market from the unsustainable highs of the boom? Marine is seen as a luxury and in a recession luxuries are the first to go. but i totally agree and understand your last paragraph.... although as you say considering those factors there is a considerable difference in costs!! but i dont have a huge issue about it would rather pay a FAIR price and get a good job done than going down the nixer road.

Leinster House bank sponsors get us coming and going.
    Cost of getting things in Republic of Ireland, dear mainly due to tax/stealth tax.
    Cost of petrol to go elsewhere .... heavily massaged with duty
    But as was already said, if you have reason to be there, or live near, €65 is a good price.

Ironbluedun: You are spot on there about the re-alignment thing.
    I've seen that before, in 1982. Dublin boat & trailer closed in that one I think. Ten thousand boats for sale for figures like 4000. Harbour moorings going cheap, if you could get any cash together.
    I don't think we have reached the bottom yet, since this is a bigger recession with more debt, and the govt has not stopped spending yet. Maybe we are 2/3rds through it if we are lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭DryFlyFishing

buy a shop manual... not the little book that comes with your engine... but the actual mechanics book... only costs €70

and engines on the most part are very easy to maintain...

from there on in it will only cost you on average about €20 for two stroke but 4 stroke €30-€40 including oil and filter etc.....

and just run through the maintenance check list....

doing it yourself may help you on the water if the engine stopped.. no mechanic out there to help you...

im sure you have all the tools already for the car etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deeperblue11

does anyone know of a good marine mechanic in mullingar?? 8hp mariner needs attention

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The boat and marine engine place in Jamestown Buisness Park,Finglas is supposed to be very good.

The garda diving/rescue unit use him to service their boats and engines.

Advertisement