Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipod Touch!? (:

Options
  • 12-06-2010 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

So i was thinking of buying an Ipod Touch & was just wondering what people that had them thought of them?, any info & opinions would be great! :)Thanks! xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I think you are going to get a very one-sided view of things here.

I doubt there will be too many people who will slate the device completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

May I be the first to congratulate you on actually calling it by its correct name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Advice:
    - get the largest capacity device you can afford
    - if you are a mobile phone user, consider an iPhone instead

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarahmarie

Erm, what else can you call it? :P
    Whats it like internet browsing etc? i'm really wondering how you pay for going on the internet? Yano how with your phone you use your credit??
    Sorry this may be a really stupid question! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

3DataModem wrote: »
    - if you are a mobile phone user, consider an iPhone instead

LOL!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was given an 8GB one last year, and am pretty happy with it. It's basically an iPhone without the Phone, so your Internet access is via WiFi only, which is fine by me. In my case I have WiFi at home, WiFi at university - even WiFi when visiting Dublin centre, since I'm a member of the Irish Film Institute and can pop in to use their connection. As for paying for WiFI: there are public commercial WiFi suppliers such as BitBuzz and Eircom, but they're expensive and I'd only consider them in an emergency.

IMHO the best thing about it is its performance as a MP3 player: I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I can play those at 2x speed and still hear the speech clearly. (I've yet to find another media player that does that as well as the iPod does.) Apps? Decent games are hard to find, though reading recommendations here helps, and I also like news apps like The New York Times and Irish Weather.

Browsing: even though Safari can handle full web pages, I get a better experience if a website has a version optimised for smaller screens, such as http://m.boards.ie/ or http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/mobile/default.stm . There are a lot of them out there - I ought to start a thread on them ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

As Tom Dunne said, you won't get an unbiased opinion here since most of us are apple lovers.

Having said that, it's a gorgeous device. You can't get Internet on the go, just wifi, which means mostly at home. Get the 32gb or 64gb model, it's far more future-proof and you'll get far more out of it. I got one of the first ones ever and totally fell in love with it. It really is a thing of beauty. So simple to use as well. And pretty.

I don't think anyone ever has gotten one and completely fell for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

love mine. be very clear that as mentioned above the internet is via wifi only. How much you like it will depend on how you use it. I listen to lots of podcasts, books and of course music. I have some games on there and where I work I can pick up on wifi so I can have a quick check of my mail, the bbc news and of course boards. I have the 32 and if you are a podcast kinda person, particularly music shows and djs etc(long two hour shows and dj sets) you can easily fill it up. But with sensible management 32 is fine, I would be annoyed with an 8(if they still do those) and maybe even a 16 but once managed well you will be fine. As a side note, a little external battery is a good investment if you really want to play your games and browse the web and still be mobile. Once I got that it really freed me up. (I have to take some long bus rides and have lots of waiting around to do to. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

I love mine well worth it but as said get the biggest one you can afford!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 seanzor

I love my iPod Touch, but i would say just save for the iPhone or wait for the new iPhone 4 coming out soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

sarahmarie wrote: »
    Erm, what else can you call it? :P

Many people call it an iTouch which I believe is actually a cheap knock off version of the iPhone.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Saruman wrote: »
    Many people call it an iTouch which I believe is actually a cheap knock off version of the iPhone.

No, it is a media player from Pasen, which I think was out before the iPod Touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Thanks for the update, the point was an iTouch is not made by Apple so at least now we know who actually makes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Saruman wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, the point was an iTouch is not made by Apple so at least now we know who actually makes it.

slightly OT but these lads own, or at least did own the official rights to the iTouch brand

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/68/4488

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

sarahmarie wrote: »
    So i was thinking of buying an Ipod Touch & was just wondering what people that had them thought of them?, any info & opinions would be great! :)Thanks! xx

Not a fan or hater here...
    I have Ipod Touch 32Gb, you should get one as big as you can afford. If you can go for 64Gb

Touch screen is the best on the market. Tons of apps available to play with. Some decent games also. Great for music. Really great for a quick web browsing. Video also great but be prepared for long conversion times as it doesn't support any well know standards (xvid,divx). NO FM radio. All in all great media player. TV out also works great. Batery life could be better but its not the worse.

Advertisement