Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Win 7 x64 and Dell XPS M1330

Options
  • 12-06-2010 1:21pm

As above, I've a problem with Win 7 x64 on my Dell XPS M1330. I installed Win7 on it months ago, this problem is only recent.

Since, maybe, 3 months ago, after the log in screen my screen would just be completely black. This would pass after 20 seconds or so, though. I could see the mouse curser during this blackness, but that's it. Since this morning, the black screen won't go. I can turn on the computer fine, and everything works perfectly, including the log in screen, but after that it's just black, with only the mouse curser visible.

Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

First things to try:
    1. Reinstall graphics driver.
    2. Try boot to safe mode and see if it still happens.
    How To Boot To Safe Mode
    It may be a program that kicks in on startup and messes up the video.

I also had a similar thing with another PC recently, where the PC switched It's video output to the external source by default. You could try this which switches between video sources
    videochange.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Press Windows Key + P and cycle to computer only.

if you do a CTRL + Shift + ESC do you get the task manager, if so, is Explorer.exe running ? If not click File > New Task > Type: Explorer.exe

Advertisement