Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance claim

Options
  • 12-06-2010 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

The car parked beside my car was set on fire last night, and the driver side of my car was serious damaged. will i make the claim to my insurance company? or the other cars ? will it affect my no claim bonus if i make the claim to my insurance copany

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Fire and theft is usually outside the NCB. So a claim won’t affect you. Not sure you could place blame on adjoining car though. Best read up on your policy and contact Gardai and your insurers asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

You should make a claim against the owner of the car that was set on fire. They will pass it on to their insurance etc, eventually you should get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

TJJP wrote: »
    Fire and theft is usually outside the NCB. So a claim won’t affect you.

News to me, I always assumed a claim was claim, can you expand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Fishtits wrote: »
    News to me, I always assumed a claim was claim, can you expand?

http://www.axa.ie/car-insurance/axa-car-insurance.aspx
    •No loss of no claims discount for fire, theft or glass breakage claims

http://www.fbd.ie/insurance/car-insurance/car-insurance-benefits/
    •Fire and theft claims without loss of No Claims Discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Fishtits wrote: »
    You should make a claim against the owner of the car that was set on fire. They will pass it on to their insurance etc, eventually you should get sorted.
    It has nothing to do with the owner of the car that was set on fire, unless you can somehow prove that there was negligence on behalf of it's owner. You need to have your own cover in this instance

As for losing your NCB, it will depend on the terms of your individual contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

oldyouth wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with the owner of the car that was set on fire, unless you can somehow prove that there was negligence on behalf of it's owner.
    I don't think proof of negligence is a prerequesite for an insurance claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Anan1 wrote: »
    I don't think proof of negligence is a prerequesite for an insurance claim?
    It is if you are attempting to claim from another party. In this case it is suggested that recovery be sought from the owner of the vehicle that was set on fire. It cannot succed unless you can prove he was in some way responsible/negligent for the damage caused to the other vehicle. The cause of the loss was the malicious setting fire to the vehicle, not the ownership of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 simon Qiu

Thanks guys. The thing is that the guy parked his car in my driveway. if he parked the car on the street then my car would not get any damage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

simon Qiu wrote: »
    Thanks guys. The thing is that the guy parked his car in my driveway. if he parked the car on the street then my car would not get any damage.

did you know he was parking it in your driveway? did you give give him permission to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

You wont be able to claim from the other car unless he was negligent in some way.

Where he parked is irrelevant I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement