Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loas - Cambodia - Kuala Lumpur

Options
  • 12-06-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

First of all, Sorry for my 101 questions which are looming below :D
    If anyone could help I'd be very grateful!

Ok so heading off to SEA in two weeks and have the first half of the trip more or less planned. Last place we have organised to visit is Vang Vieng in Laos. From here we're hoping to head down to Siem Reap to get flights to Kuala Lumpur.

Has anybody gone from Laos - KL via Cambodia? Is it a good route or is it completely stupid? I have no idea! We dont have the funds for flights from Laos to Cambodia (managed to get cheap deal from Siem Reap to KL) so we'd need to go by land/ River (if possible).

What are the bus services like in Southern Laos? Are they reliable/ safe...?

How long would it take to travel down to the Cambodia/ Laos border from Vang Vieng? And also how much would it cost? Not looking for luxury coaches although we dont want to be too uncomfortable!

Anybody know of an easier way to travel from Laos to KL? Flights direct are a bit pricey...

Is there a problem getting a visa coming into Cambodia from Laos? I've heard that its not always possible when going from Camb into Laos.

Are there trains that bring you from Laos (travelling from Vientiane is possible if there is a better travel network there) to Cambodia?

Is there a bus from Vientiane/ Vang Vieng to Bangkok and then further onto Siem Reap? If so is this a good option?

Really dont know much about what I'm trying to organise here so any advise/ experiences is/ are welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cormaclynch

First up there are no trains in Laos. I travelled from Viang Veng a few weeks ago to Vientienne via bus, takes about 6 hours. I then flew to Hanoi. Friends of mine travelled via bus from Vientienne to Siem Reap via a few stops. If you want to break it up there in the 4000 islands where the Meekong river becomes a delta.

From Vientienne to Siem Reap it'll prob be between 24-30 hours in a bus. The road network here isn't great. Lots of bumps and stops so its not like you can get a night bus a sleep for 12 hours. Lucky to catch any more than 4 hours of sleep a night on it. But of you dont mind long bus journeys your fine.

Visas shouldn't be a problem either, it costs $20US for a visa no matter what the guest houe, bus driver, tuk tuk driver or anyone else tells you! Just say you'll pay at the border yourself.

Tubing is class in VV too. You'll love it and its pretty cheap for buses. Food is great and cheap and Beer Laos is one of the best beers I've ever had.

Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

your post is a little bit confusing as I am not sure what advice you want yet.
    First off check out Airasia.com cheapest flights into KL,have a look at all the routes and see which suits you best.
    Only problem with flying is you miss the country,we traveled round those parts 8yrs ago and did it all on the bus but we had the luxury of time.
    The bus can be a rough ride at times,steer clear of the tourist buses and take the local buses they are cheaper and a bit of an adventure.
    Laos is a great country but don`t limit yourself to tubing in VV,the country has a lot more to offer than a big koh San road in the middle.
    As posted above the food is great and beer lao will keep yee fueled.
    Vientiane is a nice little city and I would say the deep north of the country has the best scenery.
    Yee could enter Cambodia from Thailand easily,be prepared for a great holiday and don`t get too stressed.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Dont worry too much about it all. Where ever you want to go there will be someone offering a bus to it. Laos is one of the best countries in South East Asia, and although tubing is class, there is whole lot more to it than that. The whole story in the guide book about it being hard to cross from Laos to Cambodia is pretty much rubbish. Do it from the 4000 islands and it wont be as long. Try here for info: www.travelfish.org

Some of my blogs!
    www.travelblog.org/Asia/Laos/West/Luang-Prabang/blog-448904.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Laos/West/Luang-Prabang/blog-448914.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Laos/West/Vang-Vieng/blog-449059.html

http://www.travelblog.org/Asia/Laos/South/Don-Det/blog-448924.html

Advertisement