Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

Do as many short questions from as many past papers as you can, they're very repetitive but very important.

Experiments, i've heard enzyme activity, heart dissection, and plant growth regulation but really, apart from the ones up last year i'd learn them all (if any of them were up last year I apologise, i'm just telling you what i've heard!)

Be very comfortable with Photosynthesis, Respiration & Genetics, they're guaranteed. Ecology is a gimme question so make sure you know your definitions and the characteristics of your habitat. The ear seems to be a decent shout, male reproduction, plant reproduction and the Nephron is always a good chance, wasn't up last year so i'd expect to see it.

As for German, I think adjectival endings and asking a question are expected in the grammar section, comprehensions are impossible to predict, they can quite literally be on anything. For the written, the old reliables, school life, family life, Ireland v Germany, smoking, drugs, young people, the environment, racism etc.

If anyone has a teacher who fancies something specific for the German written would they care to share it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

Anybody got any tips for biology? and german actually if anybody is doing it...:P

german.....yuck.,...well im gonna go over all grammer aspects because im forever being crucified over it in my written productions....look into the environment and stuff.....same old same old.....we had "liebeskummer" in the mocks...

biology.....those experiments sound nasty!!! however much i like the subject...i just dont like the plant stuff:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭BarnhallBull

If your grammar is poor then just make sure your basics are as accurate as possible. Try and be certain of word order as those mistakes are most heavily penalised, know how to construct a basic sentence in the past tense and remember that every noun gets a capital letter.

Make sure that regardless of grammar issues you answer every point in the letter, it's possible to get a decent score by just being canny, if you get full marks on content and 10/25 on German that's a B3 answer, not too bad at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Apparently synonyms are due up on one of the comprehensions!! I hate them with a passion!:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

world cup could be up? or something on sport..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

If your grammar is poor then just make sure your basics are as accurate as possible. Try and be certain of word order as those mistakes are most heavily penalised, know how to construct a basic sentence in the past tense and remember that every noun gets a capital letter.

Make sure that regardless of grammar issues you answer every point in the letter, it's possible to get a decent score by just being canny, if you get full marks on content and 10/25 on German that's a B3 answer, not too bad at all ;)

thanks. appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I'm doing the whole biology course today and tomorrow morning. I have done this type of cramming since 5th year and it works. Got an A in the mocks and hoping for the same this time around. There are a few main areas that are guaranteed though so that narrows it down a bit. Genetics, ecology, photosynthesis, respiration, microbiology, enzymes, reproduction of plant and human, key experiments. If you learn these you would be set and then just stuff from other chapters which is filed away in long term memory. We've done lots of past papers so not panicking yet. I need my points from this subject so I'd say I will be next wed night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 watevertrevor

thanks a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 zej

Anybody got any tips for biology? and german actually if anybody is doing it...:P
    I heard something on viruses might come up too coz the whole swine flu thing happened around the time they made out the papers =]

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Victoria. wrote: »
    I'm doing the whole biology course today and tomorrow morning. I have done this type of cramming since 5th year and it works. Got an A in the mocks and hoping for the same this time around. There are a few main areas that are guaranteed though so that narrows it down a bit. Genetics, ecology, photosynthesis, respiration, microbiology, enzymes, reproduction of plant and human, key experiments. If you learn these you would be set and then just stuff from other chapters which is filed away in long term memory. We've done lots of past papers so not panicking yet. I need my points from this subject so I'd say I will be next wed night.

can i have what your having? the whole course? how the hell do you do it????

i like biology but its just too long to revise :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭JoeyBuddy

Doing past exam papers works best, I find. Specially the experiment Qs. The same ones come up quite often.

Human Reproduction always comes up too, but it can be tricky enough.
    I don't have any hints really. I'm just gonna learn the majority of the course, and see what comes up.
    I'm not bothering learning last years experiments though.

Advertisement