Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social anxiety, looking for good hypnotherapist

Options
  • 11-06-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi everybody,
    I'm new to this and I would like some info please.
    I'm a 40 year old mother of two and I'm looking for a recommendation of a good hynotherapist, preferably an analyitical hypnotherapist.
    I've a slight social anxiety and panic attacks every now and again.
    I'm not really interested in other forms of therapy.. I would just love to hear of positive hypnotherapy success stories please. I live on the east coast and would travel anywhere from Dublin to Newry.
    So if you have any recommendations/stories of someone who really helped you, I'd be so grateful for their name and number or maybe you could PM me.
    Many many thanks
    Eve38.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I know youve your mind set on hypnotherapy, but seeing as your looking for genuine success stories Id seriously consider CBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP I trained as a hypnotherapist and I wouldn't recommend it. It's outdated, of limited efficiency and has a tendency to be expensive. People hear the word 'hypnosis' and think it'll change their lives. It really doesn't., I mean it's based on 120 year old ideas that never worked in the first place, and I know what I'm talking about. Instead I'd recommend NLP, I'm trained in that as well but don't practice. It's helped me far more than hypnotherapy ever did. CBT is also good but I have no direct experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

your not going to like what i have to say but its EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you register and take in what i'm saying. i suffered from the exact same problems and i scowered the internet to see how i could get over them. i found analytical hypnotherapy....it seemed like the answer to all my problems....great recommendations, worldwide association, very professional appearance....etc, etc, etc....it ticked all the boxes....so ii found this guy in dublin who did it...great website....it looked like the real deal so i went for it...sure i was desperate to get over my problems....i went for it....i'm almost embarassed to say i nearly spent a grand on it...WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLIX!....its a complete sham and its a disgrace that these people are allowed to operate. i never thought you'd be able to get away with this kind of stuff in a country like ireland but the whole thing is a fraud. of course hypnotherapy is useful of overcoming CERTAIN problems but the way some of these 'therapists' operate is a disgrace. they make out like they can cure a whole host of problems. they can't.....go with the EXPERT SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH......look up the NHS and IHS websites.....see what they recommend and you'll find that COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY is the number 1 therapy in overcoming anxiety disoders....it has an extremely high success rate....its not a quick fix but it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I tried a hypnotherapist for a while for anxiety like the other's i wouldnt recomend it was some old guy in dublin had a house that looked like a castle :eek: Anyway what happened was i would go there sit in a chair he'd talk and talk about stuff that didnt really seem to have anything to do with anything while i sat in a chair and nearly nodded off but it did do something i dont how but for a few days i would be fine but it never lasted and wasnt worth the money was like 80 euro a go if i recall correctly.

I would recommend going to go see a cognitive behavioral therapist to get a grip on it before it gets out of hand.

I went to the same guy. He told me that I was an attractive girl and shouldnt feel the way I do. What great help! Only went twice what a waste of money. Im sure hes make so much money. There so little help available to people in Ireland that we have to turn to people like this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

anon guest wrote: »
    I went to the same guy. He told me that I was an attractive girl and shouldnt feel the way I do. What great help! Only went twice what a waste of money. Im sure hes make so much money. There so little help available to people in Ireland that we have to turn to people like this!

What really haha. His house was certainly impressive its amazing what you can get when you eh scam people :rolleyes: i wont say where it is incase eh i get done for slander lol

Did he tell you about when he was a boy and would skip school and sit in a field with his friend under a tree or some crap ?

No didnt get that one! It was a good few years ago now, its weird thinking back. His house was a bit strange with the big fire. He gave me tapes to listen to no help at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

op some members in my family family are affected by social anxiety. my cousin found that she cured it by going to the extreme. she took up public speaking and exceled at it. ive heard b4 that public speaking can help social anxiety. i think its worth looking into

Advertisement