Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU10 bulbs with dimmers

Options
  • 11-06-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a lot of GU10 bulbs. In the rooms they are on dimmers. Hallways are not.
    I have yet to change a bulb in the hallway. Has been 10 months or so.
    The rooms however, I have to change the bulbs out constantly. Blowing random bulbs every week. Is proving very costly and am fed up of it!:mad:

Reading previous threads here and elsewhere, people are saying it could be over voltage or else they are getting too hot.

The lights I have are pin spot types that are not recessed so it shouldnt be overheating. It wouldnt make sense for it to be wiring/voltage issue if only the rooms are blowing and not the hall. Or would it? Different electricians did each!

The only differences are the dimmers and the light fixtures themselves.

Could the dimming be causing the issue? Or could the particular fixtures in the rooms be the issue? Are some fixtures incompatable with dimmers?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Do you need to keep them on dimmers , i suggest you change the dimmer to a regular light switch for a period of time and see how long they last , this will narrow down the dimmer from the fittings also its not a voltage problem if your hall bulbs are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Check the rating of the dimmer. I can’t comment on all dimmers but with most you need to de-rate by as much as 50% when using 220v halogen lamps it would have been in the instructions but most people don’t read them and just throw them away.

Dimmers that are overloaded will shorten the life span of the lamp and the dimmer.

It might be the explanation to your problem.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My experience with GU10 halogen lamps has taught me that they are inefficient, give poor quality light (a bit too yellow), have low efficacy and lamp life is often very poor. I had some in my house when I bought it first. I changed them for 20 and 50 watt 12 volt dichroic lamps and all of the above issues were sorted. I have dimmers on most of them too. I am here 4 years now and none have blown. The light quality is great. There are more efficient lamps out there but the light quality is not as good and strike time is long on some of them. Each to their own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

2011 wrote: »
    My experience with GU10 halogen lamps has taught me that they are inefficient, give poor quality light (a bit too yellow), have low efficacy and lamp life is often very poor. I had some in my house when I bought it first. I changed them for 20 and 50 watt 12 volt dichroic lamps and all of the above issues were sorted. I have dimmers on most of them too. I am here 4 years now and none have blown. The light quality is great. There are more efficient lamps out there but the light quality is not as good and strike time is long on some of them. Each to their own!
    i went back to a customer a few years after fitting 10- gu10s and a 1000w dimmer-was expecting the usual complaints about bulbs blowing

lo and behold -not one blown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Thanks for the replies.

I need the dimmers so wont be getting rid of them, but not a bad idea to change one of them over to a switch to see what happens.
    Bigjoe, when you say check the rating, what exactly am I looking for?

2011, are you talking about MR16's? Ive read elsewhere that they are more reliable. It would mean changing all the fixtures though.

So is the consensus that its not the wiring, its not the fixtures, its the combination of dimmers with GU10's and possibly the dimmers arent the right ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

bulb quality,vibration,ventilation and supply issues probably

soft-start dimmer would prolong bulb life

gu10 almost gone anyhow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2011, are you talking about MR16's? Ive read elsewhere that they are more reliable.
    Yes and yes.

They look like this:
    image-website-product--Halogen+Bulbs--MR16-100-150w.jpg
    It would mean changing all the fixtures though.
    That depends. If the GU10s are in a fitting like this:
    1e8ec2e8fc5c6e8e

Then the MR16s will fit straight into it. You will require a different lamp holder as well as a transformer.

went back to a customer a few years after fitting 10- gu10s and a 1000w dimmer-was expecting the usual complaints about bulbs blowing

lo and behold -not one blown
    There are always some exceptions. I still don't like them, the light quality simply does not compare IMHO.
    bulb quality,vibration,ventilation and supply issues probably
    + 1
    soft-start dimmer would prolong bulb life
    A very good point. MK make great ones. Expensive though!

Advertisement