Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resetting iPhone before resale

Options
  • 11-06-2010 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone here can advise me on reselling my iphone 3gs! I'm meeting someone tomorrow who wants to have a look at the phone before they buy.
    To wipe the iphone, am i correct in saying that all i do is plug in my iphone into itunes, click restore and let it restore to factory settings? Is that all i have to do?
    I'm sorry if this is a silly question, but i want to do it right and not have to post here with a problem i encountered!
    Will the iphone start synching automatically to my itunes once it has been restored? Must i do something to stop my info from going back on it?
    One last question - i got the iphone unlocked by o2 so when i take out my sim (once it's been restored to factory settings) when i meet the person in the morning, are they able to put in their sim to see if it is working or do they have to connect to itunes with their sim in it?

Thank you to anyone who can advise me on this!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Turn off the sync automatically function, then restore.
    Not sure if you then have to sync it with iTunes, though, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You can also allow the phone to destroy everything on it itself in Settings > General > Erase all content and settings. The new owner will then have to hook it up. Depending on the phone model and size, this one may take a few hours though.

so i could i do that when i meet him - show him that the phone works and then wipe it then from the phone and let it restore in his possession? Would that work?

the phone is 16GB 3gs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

wez99950 wrote: »
    so i could i do that when i meet him - show him that the phone works and then wipe it then from the phone and let it restore in his possession? Would that work?

the phone is 16GB 3gs!

If it takes a couple of hours as mentioned in the above post, you would probably want to have the unit plugged-in while preforming a restoration.

• Advertisement

ok - thank you for all the advice, much appreciated.
    I'll prob just take a video of it working tonight before i restore it and then all he has to do is pop in his sim (whatever carrier he is, i'm not sure), connect to itunes and he's good to go - is that all correct?

so i did a reset from the iphone and 'erase all content and settings'. this only took a few seconds (is that normal? i heard it can take up to 2 hours) and then it showed me connect to itunes sign and told me to enter in a valid sim to unlock and connect to itunes (or something like that).

Does that all sound correct? i'm giving the iphone to the buyer tomorrow morning so want to be sure that i erased my data.

I had it unlocked by o2, that unlocking will remain after erasing all contents and settings - is that correct?

Thanks again for the advice, just want this sale to go as smoothly as possible.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

wez99950 wrote: »
    so i did a reset from the iphone and 'erase all content and settings'. this only took a few seconds (is that normal? i heard it can take up to 2 hours) and then it showed me connect to itunes sign and told me to enter in a valid sim to unlock and connect to itunes (or something like that).

Does that all sound correct? i'm giving the iphone to the buyer tomorrow morning so want to be sure that i erased my data.

I had it unlocked by o2, that unlocking will remain after erasing all contents and settings - is that correct?

Thanks again for the advice, just want this sale to go as smoothly as possible.

Once the network unlock it, its unlocked. When mine was unlocked, it asked to put in a SIM and connect to iTunes. If I were you, I'd now put it on iTunes, turn off the sync option and restore. Put in your SIM to show its working, and advise your buyer to restore again when he gets home using iTunes. That way there will be none of your info on it, and he can see it working.

Advertisement