Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explain this?

Options
  • 11-06-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

In 1974, 1975, 1978 & 1979, the Pittsburgh Steelers won the Super Bowl. No other team had ever won 4 superbowl before this purple patch let alone win 4 in 6 years. They went from seasoned whipping boys to the most feared team on both sides of the ball in NFL history.

On offense they had the troubled but marksman like Terry Bradshaw (HOF 1989),
    they had two uniquely gifted receivers in John Stallworth (HOF 2002) and Lynn Swann (HOF 2001) and their center named Mike Webster (HOF 1997). You combine all that with the running back Franco Harris (HOF 1990) and you can start to get the picture of why 4 Super Bowls in a such a short period of time was feasible. But as the old saying goes 'Offense wins games, Defense win championships' so its here I have a slight problem. Well, maybe not a problem but certainly a question.....

When you talk to anyone about the 70's Steelers, whats the first thing that spring to mind? The Defense as a whole but The Steel Curtain in particular.

The D Line made up of Joe Greene (HOF 1987), LC Greenwood, Ernie Holmes & Dwight Wight (my personal favourite). The Steel Curtain is legendary. Plain and simple. Over the few years we are talking about they proved themselves as the best defense in the history on NFL. Yes I know the Ravens in 2000 broke pretty much all season records and post season records but they shone for one year and then burned out. Albeit they have left us arguably the best MLB of the dozen years in Ray Lewis but they didnt have the dominance of the Steel Curtain, did they?

Sorry to digress but before I ask my question, I would just like to point out the other players of note on the Steeler defense.
    Mel Blount (HOF 1989), Jack Lambert (HOF 1990), Jack Ham (HOF 1988), plus a fantastic Safety in Mike Webster. Again, you can easily see why the Steelers dominated pro football in the mid to late 70's. Now here is my query....

Mike Webster was quoted as saying that the 'Front 4' where that good that the safeties rarely played run support, they stayed in coverage. He also said that the 3 linebackers rarely had to rush the passer, why? Because the front 4 were so good.

So why is only 'Mean' Joe Greene the only member of the front 4 in Canton? Its just not right!!!!

So when we look back on the 70's Steelers we think 4 rings and the Steel Curtain. So Dwight Wight for Canton.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TBF that is a hell of a lot of Hall of Famers from one team/dynasty. 9 from what i read in your post. I think you're being greedy if you expect another.

Do i see 9 players in the HOF from the Patriots dynasty in the early 2000's? No, i'd say the Pats would very lucky to have 3 (Brady, and 2 other very lucky players). Fair enough Pats 'only' won 3 Superbowls not 4 but they were as dominate in the 2000's as the Steelers were in the 1970's and it was in the capped era in the 2000's.

EDIT:
    Actually the capped era makes it waay more special to be a dynasty but it takes away from players staying with one team all their career and the capped era has a higher turnover of players. Players staying with one team all their career is very attractive for the hall of fame ballot. If the 70's Steelers operated in a cap they would have probably lost a lot the players mentioned above in free agency, like the Pats did in the 2000's.

In the 70's all the HOF players were porbably located on a few teams, while in the 00's all the HOF players were spread out accross the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

To answer your question, They only put so many players in the Hall of Fame and many talented players who should have got in didn't. Just google it and you will find many pages of guys who are considered hall of famers but yet never got in. I think even the NFL network ran a film about the Top 10 who they considered to be HOF material but they never got in.

Advertisement