Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths

Options
  • 11-06-2010 3:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Has anyone seen the development of the new mathematics syllabus (Project Maths)? I do TP and I think its fairly shocking but what does everyone else think? Especially as Trinity are considering bonus points for HL maths, for entry into all courses in college.

Have a look at the sample paper from the SEC (State Exams Commission)

http://www.examinations.ie/schools/Higher_level_Paper_2.pdf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nothing short of a joke/disgrace depending what mood I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ugh.

Convenience for marking is the only advantage I see. Allows very little scope for novel problem solving. Seems to encourage an identify question, rattle of prescribed method.

Also what if you realise you screwed up a question after it was done? Is there no room no for crossing out and starting over?

I miss pen and paper maths :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

So... is the main change we are talking about the use of those boxes rather than a separate answerbook, or the changes to the substantive syllabus?

In any case the use of boxes is ridiculous, I remember in my exam for one (c) part I had about three pages of scribbled out maths as I tried to work out one of the harder questions. Part of the fun :P

BTW I don't think bonus points should be given to HL maths students for entry into all courses, just math/science related ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

ApeXaviour wrote: »
    Convenience for marking is the only advantage I see. Allows very little scope for novel problem solving. Seems to encourage an identify question, rattle of prescribed method.

Yeah, look at 9B(a). It's just encouraging rote learning and memorising the proofs.

OP, there's a thread on the LC forum as well with plenty of negative comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KiLLeR CoUCh

If that's the standard of Maths they're expected to have for leaving cert some of them are going to drown in college if they choose to do a maths/science/engineering degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I was never great at maths (still not) but that was pretty awful, or to put it more accurately, that was the most retarded thing I've ever read, maths has really gone to the dogs if this ****e is allowed to continue.

Advertisement