Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ouch!

Options
  • 11-06-2010 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Back pain!!!! Seriously, what's this all about-I feel like I can hardly stand up or anything. I'm 4 1/2 months along and have only gained 2 pounds (I've already been to a couple of doctors-they dismiss this along with my other symptoms as being part of my pre-existing health problems even though, truly, they're not. sigh...) anyway, I have fibromyalgia as it is but lately it's like i can hardly just stand still for even a second- my lower back is so knotted and painful, and psyatics...what's up with this...I mean I could understand if I had gained 50 pounds or sth but going to mass feels dreadful because of the repeated standing up and sitting down on those pews...is anyone else having severe lower back pain/sciatic with pregnancy? Is this normal-what can you do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Back pain!!!! Seriously, what's this all about-I feel like I can hardly stand up or anything. I'm 4 1/2 months along and have only gained 2 pounds (I've already been to a couple of doctors-they dismiss this along with my other symptoms as being part of my pre-existing health problems even though, truly, they're not. sigh...) anyway, I have fibromyalgia as it is but lately it's like i can hardly just stand still for even a second- my lower back is so knotted and painful, and psyatics...what's up with this...I mean I could understand if I had gained 50 pounds or sth but going to mass feels dreadful because of the repeated standing up and sitting down on those pews...is anyone else having severe lower back pain/sciatic with pregnancy? Is this normal-what can you do about it?

I feel for you carrot flowers dont mean to rub it in but in 7mths and only getting back pain now but fcuk me its horrible i find standing or sitting with my hands on my head helps and making sure my posture is correct also warm baths help:)
    as for the whole mass thing if god loves you dont think he would mind if you avoid for a while after all he can hear you where ever you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MissAlex

I can sympathise, it is just so painful. I had problems from about 14weeks when I was pregnant, and then had rib flare too from about 30 weeks, but its worth it all in the end.
    My own gp kind of dismissed it, so I mentioned it to my consultant who referred me to the physio section of the maternity hospital I was attending and they worked with me on some gentle exercises that helped a bit. Not much that can be done unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had twinging pains at about 14 weeks, I really noticed how flexable I was but I must have done some damage to my lower back because since then I either can't bend down or haven't the strength to get up. In bed when I try rolling over to my left it's really sore around mt pelvis.

I went to preg yoga for 5 weeks which really helped, can't explain why, but I'd be fine for atleast 3 days.

My job is really phisical and the hours are long so I don't know how I'm going to cope. I have been tempted to take a few paracetamol, but I just couldn't see them doing enough. I will bring it up when I see the GP on the 25th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I had twinging pains at about 14 weeks, I really noticed how flexable I was but I must have done some damage to my lower back because since then I either can't bend down or haven't the strength to get up. In bed when I try rolling over to my left it's really sore around mt pelvis.

I went to preg yoga for 5 weeks which really helped, can't explain why, but I'd be fine for atleast 3 days.

My job is really phisical and the hours are long so I don't know how I'm going to cope. I have been tempted to take a few paracetamol, but I just couldn't see them doing enough. I will bring it up when I see the GP on the 25th.

OMG that sounds terrible I really feel for you, you poor thing paracetamol wont do anything for back pain or pain in your pelvis you must go to your doctor and push the matter also say it to the consultant in the hospital and hopefully get to physiotherapy I do hope your maternity leave is coming up soon aswell and if not is there any possibility that you can get your doctor to sign you off sick from work on illness benefit as doing physical work is just not acceptable for you at the moment Money can buy a lot of things but not your health please take care of yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

HI ladies

I had horrible pelvins problems (also because I had surgery for both of my hips 10 years ago) yet none of the doctors took it seriously. REhab is not in place for pregnant women (that what I was told) and they only gave my some flexible belt to put around my hips and squeeze it tight. that helped me a bit when I stood and walked, but it wasn't possible to sit in this.
    also what frightens me, in Ireland they do not check/scan your pelvis front bones on how much they spread (because when they spread too quickly and too much it is not good).

I hope you will get better soon.
    Just to warn you, soon as extra pain you might experience pain under your right breats and on the back in the same spot. sometimes its very severe.. Im going thru this and I can only sleep on left side.
    6 weeks more to go.. pfewww

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MissAlex

ani_mal wrote: »
    Just to warn you, soon as extra pain you might experience pain under your right breats and on the back in the same spot. sometimes its very severe.. Im going thru this and I can only sleep on left side.
    6 weeks more to go.. pfewww

That's rib flare, and it can be absolute agony at times but there is nothing to be done for it, at least all of those pains go as soon as you give birth, hope your 6 weeks left are less painful

yeah,, exactly like flare :) pain all the way trough.
    I noticed that putting rolled towel under my breasts (to lift them up) brings small relief.

:)
    any advice for lack of feeling in my fingers?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

edellc wrote: »
    OMG that sounds terrible I really feel for you, you poor thing paracetamol wont do anything for back pain or pain in your pelvis you must go to your doctor and push the matter also say it to the consultant in the hospital and hopefully get to physiotherapy I do hope your maternity leave is coming up soon aswell and if not is there any possibility that you can get your doctor to sign you off sick from work on illness benefit as doing physical work is just not acceptable for you at the moment Money can buy a lot of things but not your health please take care of yourself :)

Thought that about the paracetamol, if i wasn't preg i wouldn't even consider them! I have 13 more weeks left in work and even if I had enough staff I still would have to bend and lift 30 times a day. I haven't had a sick day since 2001 but I can really see myself having to leave early if I can't control the pain.

In relation to how much your pelvis has moved, this is the one thing that has shocked me, I can really feel that it in a totally different position than before. It's my first preg so every thing seems wierd but my abdomin is a totally deiiferent shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waternews

I had upper back pain on my last pg. The pain was appalling and there was nothing that you could do to ease it - as in gentle stretching or support or anything.

Contact the hospital immediately and ask for a physiotherapy appointment. You'll need a referral letter, but you can get this after you've made the appointment.

There can be a giant waiting list - so insist that you are in agony, can barely move and must see someone straight away. There's usually some way round/somewhere else you can go etc etc

In the meantime, try hot water bottles/hot showers to ease the ache a bit.

Take care of yourselves

Phisio is a joke :) they will not give you any phisio when you are pregnant. well at least they refused me one, I just got "squeezing band" for around my hips and that was it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement