Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM in UK

Options
  • 10-06-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anyone know if Irish students studying GEM in the UK are eligible for the NHS bursaries that UK students are? It'd be very handy, especially considering how much cheaper fees are over there too! I've emailed the NHS Grants board but I'm still waiting for a reply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 massive ballack

Hi,

Irish students are eligible for the Fees-only bursary from year 2 of 4 on graduate entry programmes, so covers all of your fees apart from year 1 which is about 3500 GBP. You don't get maintenance bursaries, unless you've been living in the UK for 3 years prior to starting the course.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

wow, thats a massive difference 52K vs 3.5K
    uk seems like a more attractive option if money is the issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

That does sound an awful lot better, but I wouldn't be able to afford living expenses. How much would 4 years rent and food cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Depends where you live. You could rent a basic room for £50-60 quid a week, then live out of Aldi/ Netto for 15-20 quid a week then maybe 10 quid miscellaneous. So maybe 80ish to 90ish a week? So thats about 4k to 5k a year depending on how long you get off for summer/ if you go home.

bear in mind that starting salaries are lower than that in the republic, but seem to enough to get by on. agree with amjon does depend on where you live but cost of living us generally less. dunno about 5k/year tho i seem to get through a few more grand than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

bear in mind that starting salaries are lower than that in the republic, but seem to enough to get by on. agree with amjon does depend on where you live but cost of living us generally less. dunno about 5k/year tho i seem to get through a few more grand than that!

is it possible to get a degree in UK and find a job in Ireland?

you can come back and work in ireland after you finish, but don't know if you're on equal footing with irish medical graduates regarding getting intern places. i know of people who have done it though

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

I went through more than that when I was at uni aswell. I think you could get by on that; it just wouldn't be much fun. If you want it bad enough you'll find a way.

Advertisement