Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black sunflower and Nyger in bulk

Options
  • 10-06-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know any good places to buy black sunflower seeds or nyger seeds in bulk (say 20+ kg bags) I'm not interested in seed mixes or peanuts.

Looking back at some old posts about bulk seeds I see mention of a pet shop in Windy Arbour near Dundrum. I'm going to try them but does anyone have any other suggestions for the Dublin/east/midlands area.

At the moment I am paying 2.63 euro per kilo of black sunflowers and around 4 euro per kilo of nyger. I think the sunflower seeds price is not too bad but I'd like to do better as am getting through an awful lot of it.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

You could call Pet World in Sallynoggin on (01) 284 0498 and see what they have in stock at the moment. I find them good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Does anyone know any good places to buy black sunflower seeds or nyger seeds in bulk (say 20+ kg bags) I'm not interested in seed mixes or peanuts.

Looking back at some old posts about bulk seeds I see mention of a pet shop in Windy Arbour near Dundrum. I'm going to try them but does anyone have any other suggestions for the Dublin/east/midlands area.

At the moment I am paying 2.63 euro per kilo of black sunflowers and around 4 euro per kilo of nyger. I think the sunflower seeds price is not too bad but I'd like to do better as am getting through an awful lot of it.

Thanks

Hi Brian.

Not much better I know, but good old Ted Johnstons in Naas does large 2.5kg bags for (I think I paid) €7 (is their anything you can't buy from this man lol?)

I'm pretty sure if you asked about larger bags of the stuff they'd prob be able to get their hands on it for you (at prob a reduced rate)

give them a buzz, their always pretty helpful!

Ted Johnstons:(045) 897 285

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

http://www.birdfood.ie

20kg sack of nyjer €57.50
    20kg sack of black sunflower seeds €33.50

Both are cheaper if you buy 2x20kg sacks, and free delivery on orders over €80.

Despite the .ie domain they're actually a UK firm, but do have an address here in Dublin and an Irish telephone number for orders and queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

What is the best way to store such big bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

What is the best way to store such big bags?

You could store the bags in something like a large clean bin if you are going to have a good number of bags at a time.

What I do with my bulk seed is store it between three 13kg food storage tubs that I got online through Haiths. There are similar 10kg ones on the birdfood.ie site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Looks like it'll be hard to beat the prices from birdfood.ie. I see there is free delivery on orders over about 70 euros. Thanks for the responses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Brian, did you try Breffni Pets in Dundrum? They do a 20kg sack of Nyger for €36, it'd be worth you while nipping over from Bray, that's €1.80 a kilo. They also do a 25kg of Wild Bird seed for €22. Not sure about Sunflower seeds, give them a bell on 01 2961339.

Edit: Sorry, it's Alun that's in Bray! Buy a couple of bags, make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I used to get mine from Breffni but now get them delivered to my door in bulk from birdfood.ie. MUCH better for the money imo. Very fast delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

E39MSport wrote: »
    I used to get mine from Breffni but now get them delivered to my door in bulk from birdfood.ie. MUCH better for the money imo. Very fast delivery too.
    That's good to know .. I haven't actually used them yet, but the rate at which the greenfinches are getting through the sunflower seeds at the moment, I may have to restock again very soon! Had 12 of them, males, females and what looked like juveniles munching away just a few minutes ago. I may try their sunflower kernels for a change this time, the mess under the bird table is getting a bit much!

Advertisement