Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

learning how to use Microstation

Options
  • 10-06-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

I've decided to try to learn how to use Microstation while I'm bored and unemployed and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good tutorials.
    I've downloaded a free verion called MicroStation PowerDraft from the Bentley website so I'm not too sure how different this is from the full V8 version, does anyone know the major differences? (it seems to be quite hard to find info on this subject)
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Powerdraft is basically the equivilent of AutoCad LT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Mellor wrote: »
    Powerdraft is basically the equivilent of AutoCad LT

Ive used AutoCAD LT, its a cut down version of AutoCAD IMO and not the best CAD package to start learning with. Personally I feel you would be better of learning on a full version of CAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Thanks Mellor.
    Should be handy for learning the basics I suppose (ie same buttons & commands etc), They have a tutorial manual you can download with it so I'm going to start on it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

What a horrible, horrible, terribly horrible CAD package. I've had to use it for a particular project at the request of the client. It is better in some areas but is dreadful in others and unfortunately it's dreadful areas for me overshadow its good areas far too much...but having said that it looks great on a CV and the RPA love it so in a strange way I'm glad I learned it.

Only differs from AutoCAD slightly, like viewports, they're an absolute pig in Microstation compaired to AutoCAD. Hatching can also be a bit of a pain but when used to it (differs from AutoCAD quite a bit) it can be pretty handy.

Anyways best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Same experience here Daragh, the only contact I've ever had with it was when I was working on the tender package for the metro north (back in the good old days) and we had to convert all the feckin files from the RPA into autocad format.
    Is it just the RPA using it? Thought I heard that the OPW use it too but I could be wrong.
    I'm just learning it to stick on the CV along with my Revit course, shall be learning how to use 3D stuio max soon too. Gotta do something to keep myself busy :D

• Advertisement

Daragh86 wrote: »
    What a horrible, horrible, terribly horrible CAD package. I've had to use it for a particular project at the request of the client. It is better in some areas but is dreadful in others and unfortunately it's dreadful areas for me overshadow its good areas far too much...but having said that it looks great on a CV and the RPA love it so in a strange way I'm glad I learned it.

Only differs from AutoCAD slightly, like viewports, they're an absolute pig in Microstation compaired to AutoCAD. Hatching can also be a bit of a pain but when used to it (differs from AutoCAD quite a bit) it can be pretty handy.

Anyways best of luck with it!

Microstation is far better than autocad.
    the problems you are having, like viewports, are not an issue with the software but with you not knowing how to use it. to explain, in autocad you generally, use a model space for drawing, and a paperspace with viewports for printing.
    This isn't how you do it in MS, you just model files and a sheet file with references.
    The fact that references are >>>>>> xrefs does it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

Mellor wrote: »
    Microstation is far better than autocad.
    the problems you are having, like viewports, are not an issue with the software but with you not knowing how to use it. to explain, in autocad you generally, use a model space for drawing, and a paperspace with viewports for printing.
    This isn't how you do it in MS, you just model files and a sheet file with references.
    The fact that references are >>>>>> xrefs does it all really.

My good god...this sort of thing drives me insane. I know how to use both software, I don't need to be told, nor does anybody else need to be told your huge wealth of knowledge about CAD. I didn't ask a question, I'm not having a problem so please don't feel the need to try to show off your obviously huge range of skills.

Anyways back to the other post. RPA for some reason love Microstation, I've been working on light rail projects for them where they require all drawings to be submitted in Microstation and we only had people working on AutoCAD so it was a nightmare trying to convert drawings from ACAD to MS, colours and linetypes and stuff of the sort get messed up sometimes for no reason at all. Not sure who else really uses Microstation, I really don't understand why they would since the majority of 2D CAD work in this country is done with AutoCAD. But sure that's the RPA for you. Anyhow, Microstation always looks good on the CV, everyone likes to get work with the RPA. As with Revit, it's not in the same lines as what I do as my full time job but it certainly is great software for the extension plans, garages, etc on the side even if it is a bit over the top for small work like that. Again, looks great on a CV.

Daragh86 wrote: »
    My good god...this sort of thing drives me insane. I know how to use both software, I don't need to be told, nor does anybody else need to be told your huge wealth of knowledge about CAD. I didn't ask a question, I'm not having a problem so please don't feel the need to try to show off your obviously huge range of skills.
    No need to get so upset.
    You mention viewports, I was pointing out that you shouldn't use them in MS. And if you think there was showing off then you must be pretty insecure
    Not sure who else really uses Microstation, I really don't understand why they would since the majority of 2D CAD work in this country is done with AutoCAD. But sure that's the RPA for you.

Seeing as you said you don't understand, is it ok if I tell you one of the reasons. Maybe somebody else might be interested to know if you're not.
    Anyway, its to do with licensing, MS is apparently more economic to license on a large scale. Which is why the RPA, and all the biggest (at the time of the boom anyway, nobody's exactly big anymore) architectural practices use Microstation. The smaller guys use Autocad as it's a way more sensible choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dodoronron

<<ducks past the argument>>

The only real way to learn how to use Microstation is to use it, the same as any cad package. To get used to the 2d should only take about a week, it's not that different to Autocad apart from the use of the fence, reference files and no paper space. Draw up a survey maybe or do a measured drawing of an object and go to the Bentley site and ask questions. I think there are tutorials on youtube too. 3d is a different story and although I've a basic understanding of it Sketchup with Photoshop work for me...at least at the moment.

I learned how to use it in the RPA (when it was LRT) and it's widely used in the UK, especially in the more design orientated architects offices. The reason being (I don't want to get into a fight here!) I personally and alot of my friends and collegues who are Architects as well find it easier to use because of the reference files and fence tools.

I've used loads of programmes and have to say Microstation is the one I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

sickle wrote: »
    I've decided to try to learn how to use Microstation while I'm bored and unemployed and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good tutorials.
    I've downloaded a free verion called MicroStation PowerDraft from the Bentley website so I'm not too sure how different this is from the full V8 version, does anyone know the major differences? (it seems to be quite hard to find info on this subject)
    Thanks.

Seriously I wouldn't bother, I used Microstation in college never heard of it since + it was rubbish. I would recommend going for a more widely used package, Pro engineer, solid works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

I'm not sure MS is cheaper with approx €10K per seat license compared to AutoCAD at around €3-3.5K

Not to mention to €2.5K maintenance agreement per year for MS per seat. Cheap, I don't think so! Maybe that's why our government is haemorrhaging money! :D and hence the private sector chooses AutoDesk products?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

MS is the railway industry standard drawing package, I work from home doing drawings for London Underground and Network Rail. Find it easier than Acad only because I'm more used to it, composing drawings for several km of line is a doddle.

Sometimes get asked to translate Acad surveys to MS LUL standard, hours of fun :rolleyes:

Advertisement