Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and Easy Greenscreen

Options
  • 10-06-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭

Evening Boards Users,

Right, I'm recording a video, and for some clips it would be handy to have a green screen in the background. However, the budget is very small for the project: Zero. So, I've been doing some research trying to find a way to record some Chroma Key footage.

I'm going to be making a portable greenscreen, composed of PVC pipes and cloth- however, getting the best kind of cloth and colour is the issue. With a low budget, and due to the fact that it's my first time trying such a project, how did you get around it? Did you paint cloth? Did you paint wood? What advice do you have to achieving a greenscreen? Any tips on lighting, on the cheap, with no professional gear at this time?

(Greenscreen Article: http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Portable-Green-Screen)

I await your reply with interest,
    Many thanks.

(I am based in Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for the reply, but that's one of the videos that I've seen.
    I'm asking, on short notice and at a low budget, how did Irish users do it?

Plus, this is apparently advertising for the company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭NealB

Try this:
    Buy a king-size bed sheet or something similar and dye/paint it a vibrant green. Stretch it out to remove creases and try to keep a bit of separation from your subject so you don't get any green reflecting onto your subject. Lighting is important, blast the screen up bit (1.5 -2 stops over), and keep it evenly lit. Obviously you don't want any green in your foreground (clothes etc) since that's the key colour. Do a test before the shoot to tweak your approach.

FYI the melting scene in Terminator 2 cost in the region of million to do in post. A low budget skit was done, can't remember the name of the film, and they used mercury and a flexible flooring that they could manipulate to make the mercury move. That was a home made solution and cost a fraction of the original but looked the same. On a zero budget you’re going to have compromises, but that’s the fun part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭deflemonkid

NealB wrote: »
    Try this:
    Buy a king-size bed sheet or something similar and dye/paint it a vibrant green.

I'll second that idea, i recently filmed a music video for a friend of mine on a zero budget and used a green bed sheet for the green screen. Worked a treat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Guys, I really appreciate the feedback that you have given me.
    I will try my best with these and I will hopefully post the results.

Thanks again,

SN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement