Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 Irish carriers confirmed

Options
  • 10-06-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭

Mobile operators Vodafone, O2 and 3 have confirmed they will sell the iPhone 4 in Ireland, which is due to arrive at the end of July. Meteor, however, said it is not in talks with iPhone and intends to concentrate on the Google Android platform.

Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Maybe a little more competition... Probably not though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Heliosvector

oh thank god. 02 and vodaphone need a kick in the but on prices. 3 tent to usually be very competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If the price is right I will be changing networks.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dazftw wrote: »
    If the price is right I will be changing networks.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

When can we expect price plans to be announced does anyone have any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

keane2097 wrote: »
    When can we expect price plans to be announced does anyone have any idea?

Won't they use the existing ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

And what are those for 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭milltown

keane2097 wrote: »
    And what are those for 3?

They don't really have smartphone/data plans listed. Just kind of talk&text plans with the option of either 1GB or 10GB monthly add ons. However, I spoke to them a week or two ago about an upgrade and they were offering me an iPhone 3GS for €199 with a slight change to my plan: move to the relax 150 plan at €29/month and they'd include 1GB of data per month.

I didn't bite at the time, luckily. Here's hoping they offer similar value with the iPhone 4 come July.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

If 3 do get the iPhone (officially) , I'd be surprised if they didn't create new iPhone specefic plans. Having said that, I'd still guess that their plans for iPhone will be still the best value.

Does anyone think that the networks are going to chance their arm and look for 2 year contracts with iPhone 4?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

cojomo2 wrote: »
    If 3 do get the iPhone (officially) , I'd be surprised if they didn't create new iPhone specefic plans. Having said that, I'd still guess that their plans for iPhone will be still the best value.

Does anyone think that the networks are going to chance their arm and look for 2 year contracts with iPhone 4?

There Relax plans are perfect for the iphone especially with the 1GB of internet included, I'd say there going to have to tweak them shortly anyway so the iphone release could be the right time to do it.

24mt contracts, down with that sort of thing!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Whats three Coverage like from a 3g Data Perspective and roaming ?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Szondi wrote: »
    Whats three Coverage like from a 3g Data Perspective and roaming ?

3G coverage around ireland nobody comes near them, there all playing catch up, roaming all depends on where your going, if your in a 3 like home country and using 3's network there's no data charges or roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Spoke to a guy in an 02 shop today, manager. Real hardcore Apple fanboy, knows his stuff. Probably posts on here! Anyway, he was that even though Apple said July is the launch for it here, there's no way that 02 will have the contracts ready before mid-September at the earliest. Not a hope. Zero. Zilch. They'll have phones ready for sale but you won't be able to get one. At the very most, current iPhone contract holders will be able to upgrade mid-August, but even that's unconfirmed.

He said Vodaphone are pretty much in the same boat, but he can't confirm that. Didn't mention 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

banquo wrote: »
    Spoke to a guy in an 02 shop today, manager. Real hardcore Apple fanboy, knows his stuff. Probably posts on here! Anyway, he was that even though Apple said July is the launch for it here, there's no way that 02 will have the contracts ready before mid-September at the earliest. Not a hope. Zero. Zilch. They'll have phones ready for sale but you won't be able to get one. At the very most, current iPhone contract holders will be able to upgrade mid-August, but even that's unconfirmed.

He said Vodaphone are pretty much in the same boat, but he can't confirm that. Didn't mention 3.

That sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

No meteor :( I was actually gonna buy this. Desire it is for me then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

As in the contract between Apple and O2, or O2 and customers? If it is the later, I dont see where the problem could be if they keep their current price plans?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I can't see the contract betwwen Apple and O2/VF or for the customers being that big a stumbling block, TBH. They can't get it sorted in 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭kopite davo

whiterebel wrote: »
    I can't see the contract betwwen Apple and O2/VF or for the customers being that big a stumbling block, TBH. They can't get it sorted in 2 months?

exactly, its not like they did not know it was coming. the uk companies seem ready to go straight away, and ireland has another month to sort things out after uk launch. looks like i will be sticking with 3 on the 29 euro deal with 1gb data.

Maybe o2/Voda don't have an exclusive, maybe they have 2 much stock of the 3gs they still need to sell or their networks arent ready for the amount of data this phone is going to push through them.

Maybe this is all make up, nobody has came out with the trumpets yet saying they have the iPhone at launch, I still reckon it's o2 who might have it unless they've decided not to after the problems 02 uk have had with their network over the iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Maybe o2/Voda don't have an exclusive, maybe they have 2 much stock of the 3gs they still need to sell or their networks arent ready for the amount of data this phone is going to push through them.

Maybe this is all make up, nobody has came out with the trumpets yet saying they have the iPhone at launch, I still reckon it's o2 who might have it unless they've decided not to after the problems 02 uk have had with their network over the iPhone.

With the amount of customer screwing the 2 have been getting away with, you're bloody sure they'll have it at launch. I'd like to see what 3 are offering, their tariff is good at the moment, think I'll change after I get back from hols.

there's no way that 02 will have the contracts ready before mid-September at the earliest.

What contracts are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Anyone thinking of switching to 3 one thing to consider is their 3G network. If you live in a big town or city you will probably have very good 3G coverage. However if you live in the country side or in a village you mightn't have 3G coverage and then you go onto Vodafones network which DOESN'T ALLOW any web access!!!

Advertisement