Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic drum kit help

Options
  • 10-06-2010 2:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Hi, ive been drumming for nearly a year now, like heavy and fast drumming, but its been a problem really with niehgbours and noise. I have a "real" drum kit at the moment, but am really considering switching to electronic to save on noise, space etc. and so that I can practice at night without risking waking up the neighbours and getting in an argument.

I know it will be expensive enough, but I have a budget of about €300, anything about €200 if possible. Any recommendations for me? Id be happy with a standard 5 piece, possibly an extra crash, but can you add pieces later like a normal kit?

Also, can you plug any electronic drum kit into a PC via usb or whatever and record to the hard drive?

Also, are electronic kits any good really? Like are they flimsy, easy to break etc. Does every kit be touch sensitive (louder the harder you hit them), or is that feature be only in top models?
    Do they come with like the ability to change the sound of the kit, say to a trashy kit, or to a vintage kit etc.

Any help welcome cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

I would stay away from cheap E-drum kits, in my experience they are terrible in just about every way (construction, sensitivity, sounds).

If you are handy with a soldering iron however you can do what I did and convert your current kit to an e-drum kit. It cost me around €50 in materials to build my triggers for a 5 piece kit, then all I needed was mesh/silent heads and a drum brain (I got a Roland TD3 for €100 off Ebay which does the trick fine).

Heres an example of one:

The sounds for the kick/snare/toms is coming from his computer, the kit itself is practically silent. He is using real cymbals though but you can get Roland V-Cymbals cheap enough. If you message the guy in the video he can send you the instructions to build the triggers.

Edit: I just wanted to point out that this requires no permanent modification to your kit, you can just remove the mesh heads and pull out the triggers and you have an acoustic kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

just make sure you go with the mesh heads option...

otherwise you'll destroy your wrists...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Id honestly prefer to go the route of getting a completely electronic drum kit as opposed to modding my one. Not ruling it out completely though.

Any reccomendations for about €300 or is that way too low for a decent kit?

What about this one? http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230423124652

In my price range, but I dont know much about the specs for electronic kits or this brand. Anyone know if this is a good kit to get and if the specs are good?

Advertisement