Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ford 5000: Is the engine block ****ed?

Options
  • 10-06-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

2ij6qdx.jpg

:rolleyes: As you can see in the picture, coolant is leaking where the engine block and gearbox meet, just where the starter should be.

The tractor has been left out in the frost for the past year. The expansion caps in the engine block never busted with the frost :(. I dont know if there is another one hidden on the inside of the gearbox housing which is leaking or if the frost has cracked the actual engine block itself.
    Any help greatly appriciated appriciated? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

your sure its not the core plug on the back of the cylinder head?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Thanks for the fast reply!
    Is there a plug hidden at the back of the cylinder block?

That would be great if it was the problem, as I dont want to go to the trouble of spliting the tractor to find there was no plug and the block itself was cracked, if you know what I mean,

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

No the cylinder head, its a common plug to blow out with frost

Thanks guys, I will check it out later on. Will let yous know how I get on.

Had A look at the engine there tonight I took off the fuel tank to get a look at the frost plug on the end of the block. Unfortunately it isnt leaking from this plug. There may be two frost plugs in the head, I cant see them properly as ther is a metal plate over them which I didnt get time to remove as it was getting a bit dark!:(

I don't see how these plugs would have anything to do with the leak comming from beside the starter opening, :confused: but I don't know anything really about these tractors so PLEASE don't be afraid to correct me if I'm completely wrong!! I was just kind of hoping there was another plug located inside the housing where the gearbox and the engine meet.

I took some pictures this evening I will try and get them up as soon as possible.

Dont be afraid to reply :D
    thanks for reading !

• Advertisement
Advertisement