Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st pair varifocals

Options
  • 10-06-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, just been told I need varifocals. Specsavers have varifocal lenses ranging from 75 to 195 eurs. Does anyone know is it worth paying out for the top of the range lense. Are varifocals a nightmare, im hearing lots of different stories about them.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

I'm using varifocals from Specsavers and I'm very happy with them. Allow a week to get used to them if you haven't had them before.

And instead of spending a lot on designer frames, get the best possible lenses - €60 extra for "Extra Thin + Light" lenses is money well spent if you're getting a strong prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

You need to be in the right frame of mind to adapt to varifocals successfully. Usually that is somebody that is wearing both reading and distance glasses and are fed up with the changing of glasses to do different jobs regularly. If you are rushed into varifocals too early you might not adapt and end up rejecting a lens that has brought a lot of comfort to a lot of people. We see it quite a bit in our practice with people who would benefit from varifocals now but tried them years ago and hated them. After a bit of convincing they will retry them again. If you do go for the varifocals and don't like them return to your optician they will replace them for you. Good luck

OK, endplate is giving good expert advice. All I'm saying is that varifocals work great for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ab68

Thanks for that. I presume from your replies it is worth me spending the €95 on the lenses rather than going for a middle of the road option of about €115 or €145
    ab68

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ab68

Sorry that should have been €195 not €95

• Advertisement

It's really up to yourself. A lot of people can get on well with the cheaper lenses. The chances are better with the more expensive lenses but that is not always the case. We have found in the past some ppl got on better with the cheaper lenses than the more expensive. Tell us this for €195 are you getting all the coatings? If you have the choice ask for Essilor lenses as they produce very good varifocals with excellent coating

Hi Endplate,
    can you explain about these coatings? And what are Essilor lenses?

Certainly. Esslior or most lens suppliers provide a range of coatings starting from an anti scratch coating to a tough anti scratch, antiglare, anti smuge, anti static and hydrophobic coating.

Don't except that all anti glare coatings are the same poor quality coatings smudge easily and don't clean as easily as the high quality coating. Esslior provide a coating called Crizal with Forte (formally called Scotchgard)which we find are excellent. you can learn more on their website here

Ps I don't work for Essilor we just sell a lot of them cos we have tried other and have gone back to Essilor cos nobody else yet supplies better coating or varifocals imo.

Essilors varifocals are called varilux you can read more here

The more popular are Physio are high end, Comfort is mid range and liberty is lower end

Thanks, endplate, that's very clear and more than I was told. Maybe I shouldn't have gone to ......

Advertisement