Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child abuse -taboo subject -where would you go if the perpetrator is a woman

Options
  • 10-06-2010 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

There is no ideal home on boards for this and it crosses gender lines. It is a difficult area so I would hope that we dont do a gender war on this.

There are lots of threads on the salacious side of this or the criminal side of it.

So maybe the way to look at this is maybe in a gender neutral way and start off with violent/abusive parent issues or even neglect issues.

I hope we dont get the thread closed or indeed have to ask the mods to close it which I will do if it gets focused away from where to go for help on particular issues in a surviving it basis and resourses available basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Depends on the age of the victim.

If they are a grown up and the abuse was in the past then I would say 1in4 or the Rape crises net work.

http://www.oneinfour.org/
    What we do

One in Four provides a unique service to individuals and families, both directly and indirectly. Support is provided directly through individual psychotherapy, group therapy, advocacy/support, and 24 hour support on our online message boards. Support is provided indirectly through campaigning, policy making, in-house research, training and consultancy work with statutory and non statutory agencies.

In responding to the needs of any family or organisation, One in Four liaises with both statutory and non statutory agencies, where necessary – such as child protection agencies, An Garda Siochana and other agencies that may offer further support and assistance to the family.

http://www.rcni.ie/male-survivors.aspx
    Male Survivors

Male survivors often feel alone because there is little talk or understanding of the sexual abuse of boys and, particularly, of the sexual assault of adult men.

Those who sexually abuse boys or men are generally male, but can also be female. All Rape Crisis Centres support orand offer counselling to male survivors or refer them to the appropriate local service. In many Rape Crisis Centres, male counsellors are available for face-to-face counselling if this is what you would prefer. Find a RCC.

http://www.rcni.ie/child-sexual-abuse.aspx

If they are a child then it's drs, socail workers, garda and CARI
    The Child Care Manager in each Health Board Area has the statutory responsibility for all cases of child sexual abuse. You can contact your local Social Work Team and let them know of your concerns. The Duty
    Social Worker will want to know your reasons for suspecting that a child is being sexually abused. The

Social Worker will also request your name but she will try to keep it confidential. The Social Worker will investigate the situation and take action if necessary. You can get details of your Local Community Care
    Social Work Team by calling, free phone, 1800 520 520.

The Gardaí also have a statutory role in the protection of children. If you are concerned that a child is in immediate danger, and you are unable to contact a Social Worker, you can contact your local Garda Station.

http://www.cari.ie/
    Why not take part in one of our upcoming events

What is the CARI Foundation?

The CARI Foundation is a registered charity founded in 1989. Our primary aim is to provide a professional, child centred therapy and counselling service to children, families, and groups who have been affected by child sexual abuse.

Alongside this we aim to provide the most up to date education and information service for children, adults and professionals on the dynamics of child sexual abuse, and, moreover, to raise public and political awareness of these issues. As a non-governmental organisation we operate on a not-for-profit basis ensuring that our services are accessible, regardless of a client's means or situation.

What is Child Sexual Abuse?
    Child sexual abuse is when someone involves a child or young person in sexual talk, touching or other activity. The child or young person might not fully understand what's happening, they may not know what to do and they may find it scary or confusing.

CARI is seeking to ensure that everyone who may need their services, wherever they live, is aware of

CARI and able to take advantage of the information, advice and therapy offered. We will also aim to guarantee that we have in place sufficient resources nationwide to meet the demand that this increased awareness will promote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Not entirely clear what you mean by the question "Child abuse -taboo subject -where would you go if the perpetrator is a woman" CDfm?.

I would have thought that irregardless of gender (of the perpetrator) that there are probably the same available channels for reporting such abuses eg what Thaedydal has posted above.

Or am I missing something?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Is it naive of me to think the Gardai should be involved in the first instance, for any case of child abuse?

The gender of the abuser shouldn't alter things either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

The gender of the abuser should be irrelevant. It is not always mentioned that women also abuse. I "tabloid titled" the thread to allow people consider it but raise it as a single issue for resouses available rather than a debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Gender has nothing to do with anything when someone breaks the law as you say above. End of story to be honest. No clue why you needed to say if the perpetrator is a woman, or even if you said a man it would still be irrelevant.

Tabloid titled threads like tabloid headlines are used to sensationalize and stir emotions in the reader. A cheap trick used to brew trouble in my opinion. Have no time for it.

I'm closing the thread on the above points I made and Thaedydal's very comprehensive and informative post.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement