Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie and SSL (Secure socket layer, https)

Options
  • 10-06-2010 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I noticed if I typed in https://www.boards.ie it worked!. So clearly Boards has a secure server.

According to Firefox the "Connection [is] Partially Encrypted" and "Parts of the page were not encrypted". These Firefox details are similar to the Wikipedia secure serve details. Wikipedia has helpfully provided info on their secure server and its security limitations.

Where can I get more details (along the lines of Wikipedia's page) about the SSL connection to boards.ie ?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Hi, SSL is an experimental, unsupported feature at present.

We currently have no plans to make the entire site available fully encrypted (since there are images/youtube videos etc embedded, which we don't have direct control over).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

Hi Ross,
    Ross wrote: »
    no plans to make the entire site available fully encrypted (since there are images/youtube videos etc embedded, which we don't have direct control over).

From what I can make out that is very similar to Wikipedia's setup: the text is encrypted but the images are not.

It is better than nothing and I think it is quite acceptable. I would love to see SSL available as soon as possible here on boards.ie, especially after the whole password issue.

What kind of time frame do you have for your SSL experiment?
    (sorry if this is a qudruple post, for some reason the first 3 times I tried to post this it didn't display!)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Posts are pre-moderated in Help Desk.

As I say, we currently have no plans to make the entire site available fully encrypted, it will be used for a small number of applications.

SSL would not have altered the outcome of the hack in January, but the method the hacker used is no longer possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭deckstunt

Posts are pre-moderated in Help Desk.

Thanks, Tom Dunne filled me in on that
    SSL would not have altered the outcome of the hack in January, but the method the hacker used is no longer possible.

If you say so. I do think that SSL would be a great security plus for Boards.ie - even if it was just the text that was encrypted. And failing that if you could even just provide an SSL login page that would be a plus.

Google are introducing SSL for their search page.

Thanks for the reply.

Advertisement